• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a M332 - opps!

dk8019

Well, I but a starting bid on a M332 this afternoon, and apparently I won it. I've posted the pics. I have a M109 to pull it with, and I wanted a trailer of some sort, but this guy looks a little on the small size. I understand they were used for ammo, but what would you all say they are good for now days? I'm sure I can haul all kinds of fun things back there, the M109 is becoming an off road RV of sorts.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like these trailers, they are about 4 feet wide on the inside, and 6 feet long (off the top o' me head). A little short, but they are low to the ground, so they are easier to load than the higher M105 trailers. The two trailers weigh about the same, so they can be hauled with no problem.

dk8019

These are coming from Drexel Garden in Indianapolis. I just can't believe that the total investment is right at $200 for something like this. I might very well spend as much in fuel going to get it, this is right at 3 hours in the deuce from me, gives me an excuse for more driving and to go see my brother I suppose!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are cool trailers...I've got two of them...but I'd take an M105 over an ammo trailer any day.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have added this to the previous post...

They are very stout trailers. They are rated at 1-1/2 tons, but the suspension is much more stout than an M105A2. I have no doubt you could seriously overload the trailer with no ill effects. The limiting factor could be the tires. I have heard that DOT does not like civvies pulling these trailers because of the lack of fenders. Some have come out with fenders; I am not sure if this is a depot modification or a kit.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Thats why I got mine, you can run a 4 wheeler right in the back and its easy loading for stuff, PLUS no many people have them.

Thats a real nice 332 , Im picking mine up tomorrow

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
That is a great looking trailer and the right price heck a sheet metal made in China one costs more at Harbor Frieght. I plan on welding fenders on mine because in Maryland they will not pass inspection without them. I do think they are on the small side but all the comments are right on here and you will learn to like it.

dc3coyote

I use mine as a mobile cooler unit, put two of those large marine coolers in there. perfect. size for the younger kids to fetch you a beer, when you dont feel like making the long journey to the truck.
For the fenders I like to use a tire cut in half with a sidewall removed, they get abused and then they pop right back into place. it can look tacky, but again they are indestructable.

dk8019

Great comments guys, I'm looking forward to getting it, EUC going on on Monday, let's hope it clears as quickly as my first one did on the Deuce. We don't really have inspections here in Ohio on vehicles or trailers, there's a Sheriff inspection to verify VIN etc, but that's it. Maybe I'll make fenders, the thing looks too much like a chariot of sorts this way :) What type of ammo was transported in these anyways, it would have to be very heavy to make sense I would think. I've got a few crates of boxed 5.45x39, 7.62x54, 7.62x25, and .30-06, even a full trailer of that stuff won't come close to 1.5 tons I don't think.

LanceRobson

Most were used for 155mm and 8" rounds and propellant charge cans. Regarding how stout they are, if my memories are right, a155 round weighs in just under 100 pounds and the old 8" rounds were something like 196 w/o the fuze and TNT booster.

Picture the trailer loaded with a batch of them standing in it and you can see why they aren't any bigger.

dk8019

Flea, no doubt, I love me some 7.62x54R, but after stacking a 6 ft section of an 8 ft wall with Czech Silver tip LB I thought I should diversify. I only have some many guns in the caliber, turns out it was a good investment though, the prices on it have doubled from what I paid for it 3 years ago.

Flea

You have... Czech silver tip?

That stuff goes for close to $1.00 a round in some places! I have heard that it is exceptionally accurate, though.

I'm beginning some work on my 1942 Izzy Mosin this week.