• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a M818, What to look out for?

NovacaineFix

Fairly new member from Southern California.
Have a M1009 and partially refurb'd it for daily use, love that truck.

Just stepped up and bought a M818 5-ton, but not sure about anything on it even the year.
The listing has it as a '85 Kaiser XM818 6x6.

Here are the details that were provided:
Year: 1985
Make: Z5xx85 Kaiser Xm818
Vin: 05B21570C12410694
Mileage: 26831

I haven't picked it up as of yet, but was looking for general things I should look for to determine if it is road worthy to drive home and things that will need attention once it is home.
I know that is a broad statement. I am very mechanical savvy, was an auto-tech for 12 years, but don't have too much experience with bigger diesels.

I only live 20 miles from where it is stored, from the pictures, it looks well maintained [currently at a gov't facility], even looks like it has brand new tires if you can believe that.

The engine, I believe is a Cummins 250.

I wish I could provide more info, but I just don't have it as of this posting. Will probably pick it up next week.
Until then, any help or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.:naner:
91QSCI15215518.jpgScreen Shot 2015-07-18 at 11.30.04 PM.jpg

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome . I would have a few questions on it being titled as a 1985 Kaiser, since Kaiser went out of business in the late 1960's.

tommys2patrick

I think those are great looking trucks. Good job! Welcome from Colorado. I would imagine someone probably used a rebuild date rather than the original manufacture date on the data tag.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks to be a 1970. The VIN number posted is a composite of the original Army registration number (05B21570) and the vehicle serial number(C12410694), (the serial number should be stamped on the frame rail at or behind the front left tire.)
It's powered by the NHC 250, check all the fluids, including the brake master cylinder, before moving it any distance. Don't forget the transfer case. Its equipped with Michelin tires, check for dry rot. Find the operator's manual, a must to understand the operation of these vehicles.
Post more photos
Have fun
JC

tucker79

Welcome I got my 818 last summer BRAKES are the 1st thing I went through. Replace all rubber hoses brakes and fuel from tank to IP. Good time to do spin on filter conversion its worth it. Check all fluids and Make sure you have no water in any of your fluids. You should add a little air tool oil to air pack as it may be dry from sitting I replaced mine. Drain air tanks every use. Grease grease and more grease. I had a lot of trouble with the 11.00s they looked OK but wore out real fast and I blew 4 and replaced before changing to the super singles no problems since. Wheel/pinion bearings and at least seals/boots will need service at some point (keep the water out). The nhc 250 is a great engine for what it is and Iv had 0 issues with it. Air ride seat was the best thing Iv done. Read your TMs and the search button is your friend. This is the go to site for any Qs you may have. The people here are very knowledgeable and willing to help
Good luck and happy truckn

Last edited:

NovacaineFix

"I think those are great looking trucks. Good job! Welcome from Colorado. I would imagine someone probably used a rebuild date rather than the original manufacture date on the data tag."

That's what I was thinking myself. I tried looking up when Kaiser was acquired or went out of business, but really got nowhere. From the google listings, I find very few with a production year after 1970. I did find another listing that claimed it was an '85 as well.
I can only "assume" that like some others have stated that the '85 is a rebuild year(?).
The only other give-away was, and this is very simple, it's an '85 with that style of hood and round headlights?

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think those are great looking trucks. Good job! Welcome from Colorado. I would imagine someone probably used a rebuild date rather than the original manufacture date on the data tag.

That's what I was thinking myself. I tried looking up when Kaiser was acquired or went out of business, but really got nowhere. From the google listings, I find very few with a production year after 1970. I did find another listing that claimed it was an '85 as well.
I can only "assume" that like some others have stated that the '85 is a rebuild year(?).
The only other give-away was, and this is very simple, it's an '85 with that style of hood and round headlights?
This article by David Doyle breaks down the years of manufacture of deuces but show the history of Kaiser.
Deciphering the codes: Kaiser-Jeep and AM ... - Military Trader

In February 1970, Kaiser-Jeep was purchased by American Motors Corporation. On March 26, 1970, Kaiser-Jeep became the Jeep Corporation. The South Bend facilities were part of the General Products Division. Just over a year later, on March 31, 1971, The General Products Division of the Jeep Corporation spun off and became AM General, a wholly owned subsidiary of American Motors. In 1983, cash-strapped American Motors sold AM General to LTV Corporation. Nine years later, a bankrupt LTV Corporation sold AM General to a group of private investors known as the Renco Group. - See more at: http://www.militarytrader.com/milit..._12-ton_truck_production#sthash.noapWHDy.dpuf

tommys2patrick

This article by David Doyle breaks down the years of manufacture of deuces but show the history of Kaiser.
Deciphering the codes: Kaiser-Jeep and AM ... - Military Trader

In February 1970, Kaiser-Jeep was purchased by American Motors Corporation. On March 26, 1970, Kaiser-Jeep became the Jeep Corporation. The South Bend facilities were part of the General Products Division. Just over a year later, on March 31, 1971, The General Products Division of the Jeep Corporation spun off and became AM General, a wholly owned subsidiary of American Motors. In 1983, cash-strapped American Motors sold AM General to LTV Corporation. Nine years later, a bankrupt LTV Corporation sold AM General to a group of private investors known as the Renco Group. - See more at: http://www.militarytrader.com/milit..._12-ton_truck_production#sthash.noapWHDy.dpuf
Excellent article! many thanks for the posting!!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My '71 M813A1W/W is a Jeep Corp, General Products Division produced truck. Real fun truck.
Also, if you plan on an oil change, I stock the spin on oil filter adapter/filter kit for the NHC 250. Listed in the classified.
JC

tobyS

I like the model too

I have a last year 83 of the dump truck Jeep m817. It was a non runner, battery's and fuel were it's main starting issue, then I discovered a transfer case problem. I thought wheel bearings were going out, it made such a racket at 40.

Took to a friend's shop and we dropped the drive-shafts, then ran it and watched the emergency brake drum oscillate (rear output of transfer case) and could move it 1/8" up and down. Here is the strange part...the transfer case appeared about new but the emergency brake was old and worn off, hitting metal to metal with the rotating drum. No way should one have play in that output shaft. Taper bearings need a light pre-loading, not lose.

We dropped the transfer case and I split it. I noticed all three main shafts had excess play, not set up properly....although new. I came to the conclusion that this was a new, unused transfer case that had been installed but the bearing pre-loading on all three main shafts were never set correctly. I found it before any damage was done, even to the output seal. I'm extremely glad I did. I now know the TC and it's sprag clutch is as new.

Do you know how the full time 6x6 and sprag clutch work? The transfer case uses a 13/14 ratio so the back is always trying to over-run the front and the one way clutch removes the binding that would occur. It's important it works and shifts for reversing.

Are you thinking of modifying it? Maybe a deuce bed? Dump?

Oh yea, nice looking tires. The truck appears to be in really good shape, HT and all. Home Depot Behr paint is recommended.

I'll see if I can post a picture of my grill guard, aluminum expanded metal. It's too large an opening for my taste and could take a tree limb.

Attachments

Last edited:

NovacaineFix

Well the M818 is home and ready to bring back to life. Had to some some biological cleaning (rat turds in the cab) and re-connect the driveshaft from the tow.

I did find some issues that I did not see before, some minor, some I'm going to have to figure out how to repair.

Issue 1, right side fuel tank is full, but had no cap on it. For how long, I have no idea, so I have to assume that all 55 gallons is no good.
Issue 2 not too worried about this one, looks like something heavy fell on top of the right side of the hardtop and it was banged out with a ball-peen hammer
Issue 3, the tire all have good tread, but there are some chunks taken out of the thick part of the tread, but they hold air fine, so I'll worry about that later.
Issue 4, Engine runs on ether, but cannot get fuel from the tank into the line. So I have to see if the fuel pump is siphoning or the filter is clogged or something else.
The electrical seems to be in good condition, no shorts and all the switches and gauges seem to be working.

A big bonus, the engine is exceptionally clean, minus the dust and dirt from a long time sitting, but no engine grease or caked on remnants from a billion miles of use.
I'm actually surprised because big diesels are typically leaking and caked.

20150731_185912.jpg

NovacaineFix

Looks to be a 1970. The VIN number posted is a composite of the original Army registration number (05B21570) and the vehicle serial number(C12410694), (the serial number should be stamped on the frame rail at or behind the front left tire.)
It's powered by the NHC 250, check all the fluids, including the brake master cylinder, before moving it any distance. Don't forget the transfer case. Its equipped with Michelin tires, check for dry rot. Find the operator's manual, a must to understand the operation of these vehicles.
Post more photos
Have fun
JC
HelloScar59 or any other member that may know, was wondering if you could steer me in the right direction.
The M818 I bought recently was listed on the auction site as an '85. I know it actually isn't since Kaiser was out of business at that time. I believe you [Scar59] are correct in it being a '70.

Here is my dilemma, I received the title the other day, (US Government title) and it was typed up as being a 1985. I was wondering if you could provide a link to a site or a listing on here that would back me up so that I can request that they re-issue the title listing the M818 as a 1970 instead of 1985.

I don't know of any disadvantages for the incorrect year being listed, but I would like the title to reflect the truck correctly in case I sell it later.

I have provided the service tag for reference, I hope that helps.

Many thanks in advance.

Bill

20150731_185944.jpg

NovacaineFix

Well it's been about a month since I bought my M818 and not much time to work on her after being delivered to my doorstep.
It shocked the wife a little when I told her I bought a truck and she saw it when it was dropped off. Her text to me, "This thing is HUGE!" Only if I heard that more often, but I digress.

Anyway, finally got a real day to work on her and all is good.

Here is the update: after some trouble she finally runs on her own, had a Cummins P/T pump that just would not pick up fuel to save it's life. Today was my goal to either get it running or at least determine what parts need replacing or repair. Did all the checks on the fuel pump, removed the tach cable to ensure that the pump was turning, it was.
removed the filter screen and cleaned it out and almost cross-threaded the cap into the housing. Had to remove a slight bit of metal on the pump because it rubbed, What was Cummins thinking of?
After getting the fuel filter cap (the on on top of the pump) back in, I got a transfer pump and siphoned fuel up through the fuel supply line up to the pump, I had previously filled the fuel filter with clean diesel earlier.
Had to remove the emergency shut-off cable to the fuel shut-off valve, I think this was my initial problem, but I just didn't see it. I set it manually to bypass the fuel shut-off valve just to get it running or at least get fuel up to the head.

Word of wisdom unless it has been mentioned on other posts: I had a scary moment where the engine was trying to run and wanted to runaway, a 5-gallon plastic bucket lid fits perfectly into the air cleaner housing to choke out the engine if it starts a runaway situation.

After a few tries with ether, I noticed the run time from the ether started to get longer before it died and then finally it started without the ether. Success!
After a few minutes, the idle hunted a bit, but then found a nice comfy home at about 500-550 RPM's.

Now that it is running, I got a chance to go through the systems to make sure all is working.
Brakes - good, a bit touchy, but it has been sitting for at least 8-10 years
Electrical - alternator works, charging nicely, all lights and black outs are working
Clutch and trans - synchro's are a little rough, but this may be normal. It shifts, but seems a little tough to get into 3-4th at times.
Air system - all good, have a couple glad-hand seals that are leaking but not enough to really affect anything.
Engine and Fuel - no leaks, engine idles nicely and drives good. Took it up the street in my neighborhood and back, runs really nice. Not bad for 8-10 year old diesel fuel that it is running on. I have 5 gallons of fresh diesel, but only used it to fill the fuel filter under the cab.

So far, all I have into the project is 3 cans of ether and 5 gallons of diesel, 2 fuel caps and a surge tank cap on order and some new batteries coming later.

Funny thing is I can't get the wipers to turn off after shutting down the engine unless I purge the air in the system. Minor problem.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks