• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a M818

OC455

A deal came up for a M818 truck in my local area. So I picked it up for a really good price. It needs some work. The body is in good shape, but the motor needs work. I was told that it will turn over but it won't start up and fire.

Gonna make arrangements to get it to a local shop of I guy I know. Then check and see what it needs. Worst case scenario it needs a motor which I have a line on, in case this one doesn't work out.

Other than that, I finally got my hands on one!!!:p

Pictures to follow.

74M35A2

Congratulations and welcome. I say add 1/4 tank of diesel fuel, check the oil, spray a 3 second blast of starting fluid in the intake, hold the pedal 1/2 way down, and crank it. Need pics!

OC455

I lost out on an older multi-fuel 5 ton in the area.....(someone backed out of buying a rifle from me)....but this came up and it was cheaper than the asking price for the older multi-fuel 5 ton. The old multi-fuel needed a bell housing, a jackshaft and a front drive shaft. Probably more work than this one.

Justgaudot

Congratulations, I'm still saving for mine. I'm sure you'll have fun. Also for loading wood, maybe some else can chime in on building a flat bed which in the center would not be so tall.

tractors0130

These are good for having bad o-rings in the manual tank transfer switch and cracked fuel lines that suck air. After you've deemed the fuel is OK or replaced it, check that the fuel filter isn't full of gunk, attempt to prime it with the manual primer or slightly pressurize one of the fuel tanks and check for leaks. You should be ready to attempt to start it as long as there is no antifreeze in the oil and everything else looks OK. There is a post showing how to repair the fuel transfer switch provided someone hasn't removed your's.

OC455

These are good for having bad o-rings in the manual tank transfer switch and cracked fuel lines that suck air. After you've deemed the fuel is OK or replaced it, check that the fuel filter isn't full of gunk, attempt to prime it with the manual primer or slightly pressurize one of the fuel tanks and check for leaks. You should be ready to attempt to start it as long as there is no antifreeze in the oil and everything else looks OK. There is a post showing how to repair the fuel transfer switch provided someone hasn't removed your's.
Excellent. Thank you for giving me an idea to check first.

OC455

This is one of two trucks that the local County I for picked up. So I doubt anything other than oil changes and fuel ups were the only regular things done to the truck. Other than piecing certain things together like the exhaust. Like I said, will see what it needs and go from there.

OC455

You did good Son. Check the emergency fuel shut off and the fuel shut off solinoid. Make sure it hasn't been manually screwed shut.

If it does have to have an engine I'd look for a cheap 8.3.
I have another NHC250 lined up for a good price if it is the motor. What's the advantage to the 8.3?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks