• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a M880!

67_C-30

OK - this is getting ridiculous - green iron addiction has grabbed me hard! ARDEUCE had this truck, and the price was fair, so I brought it home. The truck is showing 10,3XX miles, and I believe it is correct. The pedal pads, steering wheel, and armrests are not worn, the door bushings feel new, and the doors shut tight. The truck doesn't have so much as a puff of smoke when it cranks and it drives like new one. Besides the grille, the body is very straight and solid. The original tires were rotted, so he threw some 16's on it off a newer truck. I plan to clean it up, paint it back green, throw a small lift on it with some 36" Hummer tires and maybe H1 wheels. I can see the bumper numbers under the FD paint, so I'm going to put them back on it. I drove it nearly 100 miles today without any issue. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you do the wheel swap you will need 2" spacers all around and most likely a little front fender trimming.

Attachments

67_C-30

Thanks guys!

The little 318 in there is a great engine....you can do some light performance mods on it and increase HP and fuel milage.

Bring it up to Sand Rock or the 2011 GA Rally.
I am definitely going to do the GA Rally this year. We had a house fire, so I had to miss last time, but lord willing, I'll be at the next one. I was up towards your way yesterday in Rome picking up a M715, and would have liked to have swung by your way, but I had to get back home before 3:00PM. I ended up buying me a M101A2 trailer from GL in GA, which is what I wanted for my M1009. I felt the brakes would be a good idea since the M1009 is technically isn't supposed to the 101's. If I can get this M715 going, I stilll may give you shout about that M101 to pull with it, if you still have it. Mama told me I'd reached my "salary cap" for a little while after bringing home another M715 and the M880 this weekend!;)

67_C-30

I got out there today and changed the oil and replaced the spark plugs, and it runs a little crisper now. I also took the grille off, and striaghten it. It turned better than I thought it would. I'm going to mount a bridge plate over it and it will probably cover all of it.

Attachments

lango

Hello, brand new to forum, I have a quick question.

I will be looking at an M880 this week that is very similar to yours. (10,xxx miles, good condition, etc.) What is a fair price? Thank You.

67_C-30

Hello, brand new to forum, I have a quick question.

I will be looking at an M880 this week that is very similar to yours. (10,xxx miles, good condition, etc.) What is a fair price? Thank You.
Welcome to the site!

I'm not sure what to say on price as these are usually much easier to find with little or no rust here compared to where you live. A good friend of mine is from Wisconsin originally, and buys cars are truck here, and hauls them back to Wisconsin and usually at least doubles his money. He makes 2 or 3 runs a year when he goes home to see his parents, and makes good money at it.

My truck here is probably worth $2500 in its current state, and more if it were repainted back to milspec colors.

Wolf.Dose

M880 Series trucks these days are reare in Germany, the supply is gone.
So some tips for yours.
Did the truck stay outside a lot during its previous live? So you have to check the upper side of your frame rails just there where the gap between the cap and the body is. They tend to rust unproportional fast in these places which might brake a frame (we had that over here). Fuel pumps from long standig tend to get leaky, carborators tend to inpropper function, both due to drying out.
Replace the fuel pump (is cheeper than to repair an old one, at least momentarily) and overhowl the carb (NOS has the same old gaskets inside, so it is better to overhawl them with realy new gaskets.). New spark plugs, as you did, are helpfull. New ignition cables, new points and correct timing will help a lot. And new belts as well. I will not mention new oil in all places.
Oh, by the way, also helpfull is to check all wheel bearings for propper adjustment and NEW grease. Do not forget, the stuff is normaly 35 years inside the wheel bearings.
With the planned paint job, I think you have a nice truck for many years.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks