• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a M915A1 today

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't even get in any of them. All I know is Brian said they were automatics when he started up the one we used for the jump.

steve

rorybellows

should be a 16 speed kitty tranny, as the 920 is basicly the same truck. i dont know though the military does weird things. drove a 920 a few with a scraper on it. having driven truck before joining the Army, i found it ackward to shift but fun do drive once you get used to it

reb87

I got one on the SD auction today. The 915 has a 16speed cat air shift auto trans, the 915A1 has a 5 speed allison hydraulic trans. Ive been hauling beans with my 915 and am anxious to try the 915a1 and see if it can handle 80K with only 5 gears. The first pic is of my 915 16sp Cat shifter and then my 915. The last two pics are of my m915A1 but it isnt home yet .

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats, reb87, can't wait for the transmission comparison report. I think the Cat is the more appropriate trans with the Cummins, but I would like to hear it from you. Last week's two trucks brought like 3K and 6K from the same location, looks like you did way better than that or us at the Ohio sale . . .

reb87

I got my truck today for 4k. Another went for around 3800 and one for 4800. A friend of mine went to look at them and said the 6k one last week was the nicest and the 4800 one next and then mine.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Armyman30yearsplus (Dave) spoke of confiscating "buttons" from the injector pumps, I think they upped the governors to 2400 rpms, that might be where the speed came from. reb87, do you plan on driving yours back home? I am toying with the idea, it is 1100 miles for me. I am going to try to call the Illinois National Guard unit in Streator, IL (1744 Trans Co) and ask about the condition of the trucks. Like the Idaho NG trucks, if the batteries are hot, that must mean the old Generals were recently mission capable.

fasttruck

I rememberdriving m915a1s with 2100 rpm engines, five speed direct allison full automatic transmissions and 10:00r22 rubber and they would not break 60 mph.
However, loaded out to 80k gcw they would go 58 mph up hill and down and cut 2 hours off a 320 mile trip compared to a m52a2 and almost as much for a m818 with the same trailer and load.

reb87

Fasttruck,
Ive been pulling 80k with my 915 and usually start in 4th or 6th gear but I will be bringing probably closer to 90k out of the fields during harvest and think the lower gears will really help. Did you ever get off road with a load on the 915a1? Im wondering if it has enough gear for pulling out of the field? I pulled a stuck grain truck(51K lbs) out of a muddy field last year using my m944a1 (250 cummins/allison) It wouldnt move the truck (couldnt get it to rev up enough to turn the tires)until I put it in low range, then it worked fine. Since the 915a1 doesnt have a transfer case I wondered how it will work in the field. I have several 818 tractors so it really dosent matter but it would be nice to use that 400hp to get home a little quicker..Ross

Last edited:

fasttruck

bought m 915

reb 87:

WOULD THINK PERFORMANCE OF M915A1 IN RECOVERY WOUILD DEPEND ON TIRES USED AND WEIGHT ON DRIVE. NEVER USED ONE IN SERVICE TO PULL ANOTHER VEHICLE ESPECIALLY OFF ROAD AS LOW CLEARANCE FROM AXLES AND FUEL TANK WOULD BOTTOM OUT M 915 AND PROBABLY DAMAGE IT BEFORE MOVING ANOTHER STUCK VEHICLE. THEIR PULLING CHARACTERISTICS WOULD BE IMPROVED BY THE NUMERICALLY HIGH AXLE RATIO USED (5 SOMTHING TO 1 ?) COMPARED TO THE TYPICAL CIVILIAN TRUCK WITH A LOWER AXLE RATIO.

reb87

My euc cleared yesterday so I will try to get the truck home early next week. Ill haul some beans asap to see how it works with 80k lbs.

jpcj-7

We picked up our truck today, I was surprised how quick it is, she will really go. Needs some work, but it will be a good project while I wait for the title. In the mean time I head out Sunday for a Monday pick-up of our trailer!
Looks like I'll be meeting the MVPA Convoy in Chambersburg Sunday night and then passing them on the way home!:-D....... Also, is the military trailer electrical plug male on one end; female on the other?

Attachments

reb87

The electrical cord for semi trucks is male(tractor end) on one end and female(trailer end) on the other. I cant get my truck until wednesday. Thanks for the pics What do you have to work on?

Last edited:

jpcj-7

Cab corners are rusted out:cry:, papers say that the heater doesn't work (haven't tried it yet), need a new spotter mirror on the drivers side (it's all bent up), and the regular mirrors also need some attention. All little things, I hope......:-D

jpcj-7

Does anyone know what the thing is attached to the back of the alternator? It got fried on our way out to Pa. today, (2 miles from home) so we had to come back home. We are Trying to fix it quick so that we can head out again. I think that it converts 12volt to 24 volt for the blackout lights and starter, any help? Please give me a call if anybody knows anything about this. Thanks, Lance (419) 512-0393

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks