• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a mep-002

ageregunner

My house backup generator is an MEP-002. It is a great generator. The only thing wrong with my unit when acquiring it was corrosion in the fuel tank. I did an epoxy coating of the inside of the tank. Changed filters and oil, and she fired right up. Good luck with yours.

jamawieb

Good luck, I use the 002a with the ASK for my home backup power. I've had 802a's but I prefer my 002a instead, simple and can excessively overload without problems.

mtn man

Great gen sets, I have use one for backup for several years and works great. Wired it through a Eaton manual transfer. When the power goes out no worries here it's life as normal. Although I never do it will even start and run the smallest heat pump for the basement!

Chainbreaker

They are great units with surprising reserve capacity and fairly simple to maintain. I bought one initially and a three years later I'm up to three - one for house, one for shop & barn and one deal that was just too good to pass up as a spare unit!

combat32

Thats my plan for this one, backup power for the house. 10kw would be overkill for me so the 002 should be fine.

Hoping it will be easy to get her going, I think i have read just about every thread here on the 002 and have learned a lot.

Is there a real advantage to switching over to spin on filters?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not that these are complex units, but I have to image the ASK models are a bit more of a PITA to service with all of the panels in place, compared to the open frame. Looks like a good score though.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Did the door for the battery storage area come with it? The manual will tell you not to run it without all the door on, for cooling purposes.

Spin on is simply easier. Never used one on a 002, but its got to be easier then fooling around with the normal fuel filters and the ASK. The ASK is a PITA.

BUT its quiet.

combat32

I think the door for battery compartment is MIA, Ill know for sure when I pick it up, hopefully it laying around there somewhere.

jamawieb

After you get use to the ASK, you can take the side panel off in less than 5 minutes, to gain full access to the maintenance side of the motor. On my generator, it usually takes 15 minutes for me to change the oil and that's taking the cover off and putting it back on.

combat32

Made pick up today and got it home with no problems. Loading was a bit of a chore as the game and fish guys said they were not allowed to provide any assistance.
It was located in a really nice steel building full of tractors,front end loaders bobcats and such, oh well.
We broke out the engine hoist we brought and got her done.

Attachments

combat32

Then warthog met me down the road a piece and was able to pick up my new m101a1 as well

Looks like the only thing missing is the battery compartment door, still has the original batts in it, trying to charge them now. They told me it always ran good for them but they never used it much and it has not been run in quite a while.

Attachments

Last edited:

combat32

For some reason someone took off the ground cable on this set, i found it laying in the bottom. Can a mep 002 owner confirm or deny for me where it attaches?

From looking at tm and some pics online it looks like it goes on this nut on the side of the starter, thanks

Attachments

jamawieb

For some reason someone took off the ground cable on this set, i found it laying in the bottom. Can a mep 002 owner confirm or deny for me where it attaches?

From looking at tm and some pics online it looks like it goes on this nut on the side of the starter, thanks
There is actually a ground stud located on the fram of the generator. On your unit, its going to be hard to see but stand directly in front of the gauge panel and get on your knees. Then lift the rubber flat at the bottom of your cover and you'll see it and should have a label on the frame saying ground stud.
Now, you can follow the large lead from the negative terminal of the starter to the ground stud because it is also grounded to it also but I would not recommend directly hooking a AC ground to the negative of the starter.

combat32

Christmas prep and work has kept me too busy to work on the 002 lately but had some time last night and this morning. Finally had success, the fuel shut off solenoid seemed to be stuck, but after I got it running it seems to work fine now. Runs pretty good and makes power, but it doesn't seem to be charging quite right. I'm only getting about 26.2 volts at the battery. And I seem to have a small fuel leak at the bottom of the fuel tank but it only seeps a little bit. Pretty happy with this one so far.https://youtu.be/_rYRneKHV50

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks