• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought an 818 tractor tonight.....what are my options for a short flatbed on the rear

leeinmemphis

Hey everyone,

I bought an 818 tractor tonight and have a question regarding putting a bed on it. I would like to put a short bed on it like is in this picture

What would be the most economical solution for getting a bed on the truck? Would a 105 bed work and I remove the fender wheel wells from the side or is installing a full length deuce bed and option and then removing the rear overhang up to the rear frame of the truck? I plan on using the truck primarily for kayak/camping trips. I am definitely interested in going super single with the tires but that will have to wait a while.

Any info/suggestions would be appreciated.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That pic is of a shortened bed. A deuce bed not cut down will overhang the frame. A m105 bed will not, but you will have a wheel well not centered over any tires. Your call.

leeinmemphis

that's what I was asking. If I find a deuce bed can I go get it put on the truck(at the sellers) drive it home with the overhang then trim the rear when I get home with it. I would think I could take out the wheel wells of a 105 bed.....wonder if anyone has tried that before.

leeinmemphis

Scarecrow1

Sounds like you have it under control . From what I have read it is easier to cut the front off and weld it back on . I did like the look to and had researched doing one myself but caved and bought a 923A1 instead . Good luck to you ........

rrrr

actually it's your truck that made me want to do this!!!! I've found a deuce bed locally for $800 and will likely go that way. They said they would set it on the truck for me so I would have to bolt it down and drive it home.
Make sure you have something to bolt it down. Tractors have no provisions to secure beds. I had attachment brackets made for mine that are bolt on just like the commercial rigs use.