• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought an Ambulance Body for my 1078

izzug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been looking at all the camper builds, decided to find an ambulance body. Most of these bodies are very well built and can take a real pounding. On Craigslist in Atlanta there were 3 bodies with the most expensive being $1500, this is going to be a weekend camper nothing crazy just a nice looking rugged box. Looked on GovPlanet and there were 2 in Turner County Georgia....150 miles south of Atlanta. The auction was today 08/16, opening bid was $150....why not put some cheap bid in just to see, I bid $300 and won it for $200. I should have bid on both, the other ambulance/fire rescue body had no bids....could have been had for $150. This is not a project I'm going to put a lot of effort in right now, get it mounted on the truck, buy a generator and an air conditioner. I need to start watching some YouTubes on other ambulance to RV conversions. It's got plenty of inside cabinet space and lots of outside storage. It still has all the emergency lights on it. More to come, picking it up next week.....Rick

camper1.jpgcamper2.jpgcamper3.jpg

coachgeo

You did good. Are you going to sit it on the bed or Bed of a Trailer? If so build a bracket (very large one lol) to put the load on the proper mounts of the box. There is 4 to 6 on each side and they are tucked up in the top of the Cavity that originally surrounded the Trucks Chassis. Box is not designed to be supported on the bottom of outer the storage spaces. Should not be an issue for transport from the auction site to home sitting on the outer storage areas though. Very strong there, just not where the actual mounts are.

If you want ideas on outfitting the box as a weekender or otherwise.... visit AmbulanceRV.com and http://forum.expeditionportal.com/forums/58-4wd-(and-2WD)-Camper-Vans , That forum at ExpoPort seems to be where most hang that are building up Ambo's as Expo rigs. Both sites will be helpful. Just got a brilliant idea from one of them today. Cut off from infront of wheel well straight up and straight back to back edge of box. Same on other side. The swap sides.... this will move the wheelwell on each side to the rear allowing you to now sit the thing down closer onto the chassis. Bet you will find the box your getting was designed to be mounted on a standard heavy duty width truck chassis..... and our LMTV's are the same width.

How long is it? Mine's 14.5' or so. Your's looks close to that too.

Last edited:

izzug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are 3 more pictures of mine. This could also end up in the bed of my 931/923. I would like to leave the bed on my 1078 and come up with a secure way to mount it but be able to remove it too. Here is the Fire/Rescue bed that didn't sell
fire_rescue.jpg

Attachments

coachgeo

This could also end up in the bed of my 931/923. I would like to leave the bed on my 1078 and come up with a secure way to mount it but be able to remove it too.
In the 3rd picture it appears the brackets that were once bolted to the chassis were left on this box. Looks like the rubber bushings are still there above brackets that carry the weight. Not sure what the down tubes are... water hose clean out drains??

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the 3rd picture it appears the brackets that were once bolted to the chassis were left on this box. Looks like the rubber bushings are still there above brackets that carry the weight. Not sure what the down tubes are... water hose clean out drains??
They look like cut off U bolts

izzug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm driving down to look at it tomorrow, I need to figure out how to load this thing. They offer zero help loading. Google Maps is great showing me businesses nearby with forklifts...cash helps when you need to load something.

coachgeo

Im confused. You've provided pics of two different Ambo Boxes. One post seems to say the red one is yours then two other seems to say the white one is. Here is a link to where you can find details on the white one including specs and PDF drawings. If this is the one you bought you can contact them and you might can get repair manuals, and lot more detail http://www.aev.com/3-ambulance-models/ This is the PDF drawings of this particular box http://www.aev.com/ambulance/6-gm-3500-dr92-traumahawk judging by pics at Gov. Planet

Photos more clear of the chassis mount at the Govplanet Website. So as to the third pictures being Ubolts cut..... maybe... but does not make since unless the clamped over chassis cross members. These would be facing wrong way to be U bolt to clamp chassis...... and the brackets that bolt to the chassis...... show in the third pic ... but then again these things are across from each chassis mount bracket so... Im at a loss.

Last edited:

izzug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went down to Ashburn GA to figure out how to load the body on my LMTV. My plans didn’t go well, when crawling under the ambulance bed I was attacked by yellow jackets…stung 5 times. Lucky I had Benadryl in my truck…was not a happy camper. I decided to go find someone in town with a large forklift, there was a business next to the place where the body was stored but they didn’t want to help…offered $200 but the answer was no. The local wrecker service didn’t want to mess with is either, again $200 offered. At this point my 5 yellow jacket stings were swelling up and I said this day was over. I called GovPlanet and told them to sell it again. I was done. All is good, I'll find a body closer to home next time.....but $200 for that body was a great deal.

pontiac62

Sorry about your luck with this one. Glad you recovered from your stings. Not sure what rigging companies would charge to load your box but probably more than what you paid for the box. Keep us informed on your progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M1081 LVAD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks