• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought an M123A1C today

Kalashnikov

No major updates really. I moved into a shop a few months ago but it turned out to be more of a bad thing rather than good. I'm looking for another place right now but not having much luck. The oil leak has gotten severe. It looses about a gallon driving across town...which is like 5 miles. One of the fuel lines has a good leak as well which is probably why it use to die when idling. My fuel tanks are full of crud. I started cleaning one out and there are some areas that are deeply pitted/pin holes. I have a 55 gallon drum as a temporary tank while i clean/fix the other 2. I want to fix the oil leak and get the front driveshaft in it and see how it does offroad. I took it out back on the powerlines that cross through the property and it really made me want to take it out. I'm almost bought a parts truck, but I never heard back from the guy. Looked like it was in really nice shape too. It's probably better off, I really don't even have space for this at this point.

I'm pretty sure the block I posted a pic of is a jacking pad.

Pic from last November.

Attachments

Last edited:

Maxgussam

There are 3 of these trucks for sale just a couple of miles from my house.
Two are running, working trucks, and 1 is a parts truck. Also there is a spare rebuilt engine.
I would love to have one, but I have no use for it.
At 2 MPG it would cost $30 just to drive to town.
I can provide contact info if anyone is interested...
PM me.

Gunfreak25

Whats involved in changing out the front seal on the engine? Not available? Size? I would imagine the oil pan on that thing would weigh a pretty penny. Not to mention take a LOT of oil.

Kalashnikov

There are 3 of these trucks for sale just a couple of miles from my house.
Two are running, working trucks, and 1 is a parts truck. Also there is a spare rebuilt engine.
I would love to have one, but I have no use for it.
At 2 MPG it would cost $30 just to drive to town.
I can provide contact info if anyone is interested...
PM me.
Curious as to what they are asking, especially for the spare engine.

If I win the lottery I am going to show up and throw money at you till you sell me that truck.
I hope you win big! :p

Whats involved in changing out the front seal on the engine? Not available? Size? I would imagine the oil pan on that thing would weigh a pretty penny. Not to mention take a LOT of oil.
I'm kind of hesitant to find out myself. The oil pan is definitely BIG. Capacity is 35 quarts! Guess it's gonna cost about $100 to change just the oil . :shock:

Cooling system is 49 quarts and the fuel tanks are 80 gallons EACH.

Just to compare, my M818 is 23 quarts engine oil, 43 cooling system and 50 gallons tanks.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joined the M123A1C club today thanks to GSA!! She looks like she went through a forest fire, but that is not the case. Someone started sandblasting and quit halfway through. I was able to preview and truck looks basically OK. We'll see about the power train.

Sorry about adopting your thread, K-kov.

Attachments

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joined the M123A1C club today thanks to GSA!! She looks like she went through a forest fire, but that is not the case. Someone started sandblasting and quit halfway through. I was able to preview and truck looks basically OK. We'll see about the power train.

So you got it! Congrats! I demand a full report and pics! :D

indy4x4fab

Banned

I'm so gel-less, I want one so bad I can taste it.

Kalashnikov

No problem at all; I always like seeing pics so post more! :beer:

Looks like it is in really good shape.

Kalashnikov

I went to start the truck up yesterday after letting it sit for a few months and found the leak to be much worse. I finally could see where it is coming from now that all the oil has dripped off and it turns out it's the front main. I'm hoping it's not too bad to do. I most likely won't get to it til next spring but hopefully I can find time here and there to work on it.

Kalashnikov

So I ordered the front cover oil seal today. The TM part number was 158556. Jason at militarytrucks.com got back to me wicked quick (actually the only one that got back to me, within a few hours after I called too) with the Cummins part number and I ordered it today through my dealer. Part # 3020184. Doesn't look too bad to chnage at all, oil pan doesn't have to come off.

I have all the filters cross-over # through Wix filters except the air filters and the full flow oil filter. Wix said they recognized the # but had nothing that works. I can't find anything searching the full flow filter bag online. I haven't called/emailed anyone about it yet tho.

I really would like to get it in better shape this year and take it to some shows and parades.

painter paul

Those type winches are always rated at the lower rating with a full drum of cable (4th or 5th layer probably), and the max rating with only one layer of cable on the drum. Thanks, Paul

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Note to all the gluttons for punishment out there. My scrapper buddy still has the 2 M123's and the M925. While I admire these brutes I don't have that much machochist in me. They will have to be winched onto transport and are in pretty rough shape. I think one is a gasser but I can't remember.

vtdeucedriver

So I ordered the front cover oil seal today. The TM part number was 158556. Jason at militarytrucks.com got back to me wicked quick (actually the only one that got back to me, within a few hours after I called too) with the Cummins part number and I ordered it today through my dealer. Part # 3020184. Doesn't look too bad to chnage at all, oil pan doesn't have to come off.

I have all the filters cross-over # through Wix filters except the air filters and the full flow oil filter. Wix said they recognized the # but had nothing that works. I can't find anything searching the full flow filter bag online. I haven't called/emailed anyone about it yet tho.

I really would like to get it in better shape this year and take it to some shows and parades.
Yet its forsale on CL???? I knew I had seen that pic before!!!

Kalashnikov

Yea, if I can get the right amount for it I'll sell it but I really don't want to. At the same time, I really want a house too. Plus I have to many vehicles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks