• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought an M925 in HI... should be fun

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Love the before and after photos. Those 1400's look good on that truck, but I would have been happy with the original Goodyears. It looks like the rust isn't too bad after coming from HI.

I'll bet you have the MV sore butt syndrome after driving that A3 from Houston to Ill, then your 925 from CA to home. That's somewhere around 2500 miles. You may need a soft pillow for a week or so.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I flew into San Diego this morning to pick up the Pineapple Express. The transit co left the switches on so the new batteries installed in HI were dead.

The low air light is blinking but the pressure is good and the brakes work great. Any ideas?

Worked the dead battery drama, shot some air in the front tires, picked up some fuel and got on the road for the first leg of my trip. I arrived in Yuma this afternoon at 5p local time. I will be here for a week with work then I will head home.

THANK YOU BRUCE. When I left San Diego the truck was acting like it was starving for fuel. Per Bruce's idea I put some injector cleaner (double dose) in the tank when I filled up then headed for the hills on Hwy 8E. It cruised at 40mph and had no azz for ~60 miles then it started to wake up. By the time I got to Yuma it was pulling strong up to 55mph (2000 rpm). I did not exceed 2K RPM.

Tomorrow I will change the fuel filter and change the ten 1100s out with six 1400s. The bed has some serious cancer but the cab looks great. When I get home, I will swap beds out with a nice one I have waiting on me.

Hopefully the rest of the trip will be uneventful.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
Justin, glad I could help you out. Diesel conditioner and clean fuel really helps with improving power!

wehring

Filter

I put a new fuel filter in the truck last night and ran it around today. Not much of a difference and the canister gunk was not that bad. Guess that is a good sign.

Tomorrow I will change the bed out with a cherry donor I found today. The cab on this truck is nice (coated every 2 years per the tags in the door jam) but the bed is a bit too rough to keep. I guess the .gov guys would put wet gear (salty) in the back... I don't know. Just happy to find a good looking bed to put on it.

With the 1400s the truck runs 60mph at 1900rpm. Nice for the drive home next week but I think I still prefer 395s. The 395s also help with logistics too because I only need to keep one type of tire in the tire room to fit all of the trucks (2.5t & 5t).

Pics of the bed switch to follow.

Justin Wehring

wehring

Bed changed

I changed the bed out today.

I still have the tires. They hate to rate them but they are very high tread. I am in Yuma AZ until Friday. $1100 for 11 tires w/wheels.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

wehring

Thanks

I appreciate your kind words but the credit for this project goes to the great people I have met here in Yuma and San Diego.

Team is everything... This has not been a one-man-show by a long shot. :beer:

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

wehring

today

Well... almost done.

I changed out the muffler, passenger mirror, and added the hood retainer to the bumper that I assume the winch chain tore off. I also added a gun ring leg mount to the passenger door jam and picked up some convoy light u-bolts.

I also found a 5th wheel like I have never seen. It is an air-ride design on an M932. Anyone seen these before?

There are some Land Train (experimental desert roamer) tires there too. These things make the M925 look small!

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those tires were used on the Arctic Land Train that the Army used in the 1950s and 1960s to supply the DEW line in Alaska and along the arctic circle, to warn the US of impending nuclear attack by Soviet bombers, should they decide to try attacking us that way. The land train is no more, there are few pieces of it surviving.

The tires were used on Bigfoot 5, the monster truck. The tires are 10 feet tall, and pretty awesome when seen on that truck.

More info here:

BIGFOOT® 4x4, Inc. - The Original Monster Truck®

Alredneck

Banned
Man, good info here, nice truck Justin! I love AZ, beautiful scenery, not so rusty vehicles, all kinds of cool stuff lying around!

wehring

Ready for the trip home...

It is ready for the trip home this weekend. All I need to do is change the spare out with a 1400 and hit the road.

I had a tire guy break down the front right tire to see if there was any water in it because the truck was driving funny. He removed 1.5 gal of water! Be careful when buying surplus tires/wheels that are assembled.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks