• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought another M1009 today

K9Vic

Well I went and bought a M1009 today from a local seller and got it home OK, had a few issues but will be able to be fixed. It is a 1984 with 96k miles, 4" lift, 35X12.50R15 ProComp tires, ProComp Rock Crawler 15" wheels, custom winch bumper (no winch), KC lights, Draw-Tite hitch and dash FM/AM/CD radio. Needs some TLC, but overall it runs great and smooth for 96k miles. The front end was loose, but was able to tighten up the u-bolts and that fixed that problem. Will be spending my weekend working on it, but will not title it for a few weeks.

So now I have a M1010 and two M1009 in my driveway, this is a very addicting hobby!!

First picture is my current M1009 and the one I just bought side by side, you can see the difference in the 4" lift & 35 tires.

Attachments

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Love the truck.

Not so keen on the wheels. Nice but not stock. Not a complaint, I'm just in the 'restore it' camp normally.

Some folks here are, some are not.

Hey, even I have one M1009 I'm planning on swapping in some M1008 axles. So I'm right there as well.

Love the truck.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Midnight Rider,

I too would like to know that.

I have two M1009's. The one I just got had air shocks installed. And it came from Gov Liq. It makes the truck 'stand up' and is definitely a much better driving/riding vehicle than the one I've owned for four years.

Great question.

Last edited:

K9Vic

what lift was used and how does it ride? I really like the truck
I do not know what lift, but my guess would be ProComp as the wheels and tires are them. It is a 4" lift with springs in the front and spring block in the rear. Not the best way to go in the rear, but cheaper way to lift a truck.

I have only driven it from the location where I bought it and the front U-blots were loose, so it would not steer well. Other then steering it rode fine and did not know it was lifted, but I still have to drive it now that it has been tightened down. I will probably take it out over the weekend for a drive and get it inspected, so I will report back on how it drives Sunday night.

I spent the say doing some minor repairs.
* Glow plugs
* Coolant temp sensor to GP system
* WIX air filter
* Replace dash cover, old one was totaled.
* Install 3.5" speakers 50watt (No tweeter)
* Clean and lube door windows & cranks.

Looks like I have to replace the fuel filter base as it is leaking slightly, so I am going to go with a spin on filter system. I have one on my M1010 and makes it easy to change filters.

K9Vic

Well allot of little things with this M1009 that I have fixed, likely reasons why the previous owner did some of the things he did. Still have not got it inspected and taken it out for a drive, ran out of time this weekend as the repairs took up my time.

Replaced the fuel filter base with a spin one one that I found here recommended from Walmart boat section. Was easy to install makes for quick easy filter changes being spin on like my M1010. Cost was about $40 with fittings for the fuel lines and seems to be working well.

After I replaced the steering column and reconnected the cut wires for the manual starter switch that was added, the stater did not engage. So I read up on here looking for answers and found the solution. I changed the starter relay, from a very old post here found out that you just use the blower motor cut out relay for the same year K5 Blazer, O'Reilly BWD R3066. Did not do the Doghead mod as good as it is, this was quick and easy and worked, but his mod is a great system.

I then added a manual glow plug switch in the place of that starter switch since it was push button momentary. Since the GP card was bad, this needed to be done and the manual switch works fine. Plus when I do replace the GP card there will always be a backup in place.

Still allot of work to do, front wheels seem sloppy and likely bad bearings and need to be replaced. That will be next weekends project and then from there I still need to fix the rear axle problems, likely outer and/or inner pinion bearings as the gears inside the pumpkin all looked good when I inspected them.

Well time to watch some football and rest for the day as it gets dark now early.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks