• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought the Deuce Today

daniel17319

Hey guys I bought my deuce today.

The guy I bought it from is the guy that has all the cools stuff at his junkyard not the new junkyards were you can't even walk around and look.

I noticed a few problems right off the when I inspected it. The tail gait looks like someone backed into telephone pull looks like its done. I don't think it will rub out, but idk maybe a 20 ton shop press and a rose bud torch can fix it, he also said he would just help me fab one if needed.

I inspected further and now winch like he said would be on it. He took me to the back and had 3 of them said he would work something out. Anyone have a good plan for a winch set up, these are original deuce winches. I figure ill need to elongate the front frame bumper etc. I was thinking it would be cool to put a little storage areas for chains etc next the winch once it gets installed any ideas fellas.

Also the deuce's title is dated 1965 it has a Hercules engine i haven't looked at the engine real close yet to see other stuff it has on it, it is supercharged so Im assuming its an A2.

.. other things i noticed the seats are done, the roof is missing etc. His wife however is an apolster idk if i spelled that right. He said she would fab all the cloth stuff for the roof cause he has all the materials from past gov auctions. all at a price discounted of course.

He said he would also throw a paint job on it for me, I told him i preferred bed liner due to rust etc. He also said he had a mechanic that would get it running etc before I went to pick it up, and yes hes trustworthy.

He is also going to put new tires on it and give me a few extra rims and tires. Thats about it any help or opinions would be great,,,, also he has all the TMs for the deuce for me.

oh and the railing on the side is missing i figure ill need to build it etc. I was thinking some type of plastic decking would be best.

Im also guessing that it has a sprag transfer case due to the age,

oh and there is not front grill that will need to be built, im thinking some flat iron and about an hour and ill have one, any suggestions. This guy has tons of parts and is more then willing to help and give sell parts to me for very cheap.

Thanks guys I will add more to this thread as I go along so ill be posting progress prolly for several months.

sorry no pics ill work on it

Last edited by a moderator:

daniel17319

I just got an apartment so I will get some pics up on here. I saw 2 things i already wanted to change. The exuast i want it going up not underneath and water fording kit. You never know I might need to drive across the Rio Grande :grin: to get into Mexico

Any of you guys changed the exhaust and air intake ill do my research but any comments as well as installing a m35 winch are welcome.

Im in El Paso buy the way. My buddy had 7 willies jeeps too I may have to get one of those too:grin:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on your new truck.

However we do ask that you not use text talk and try not to make all of your sentences run together. Makes for very hard reading.

daniel17319

I apologize I was very excited about my new purchase and I have a brain injury from being overseas, but ill work on it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I apologize I was very excited about my new purchase and I have a brain injury from being overseas, but ill work on it.
We just ask is that you try. No harm, no foul.

Thank you for your service also.

daniel17319

I honestly don't know if its a Gasser the guy I bought it from said it was a multi fuel. It looked like the exhaust had been buggered with. The exhaust pipe came out between the 2 rear tires idk if thats helpful info.

caliber1

Is there a patch or plate over a hole in the rear of the passengers side fender. That is where the stock exhaust on a multi deuce is supposed to go, usually.

daniel17319

My best guess after I did some research is its a 427. How is this engine compared to some of the other multi fuel engines. Looks like im going to have to find a deuce exhaust system because I do want to be able to ford water, and from what the seller told me. The title says 1965 Jeep.

Edit he also has a 6.9 or 6.2 Cummings diesel cant remember right off the top thats still in the crate I could prolly get it for 5 gs, that might be on option then I would need to think about a transmission to. I do like the multi fuel engines I'm in a good location to pick up waste oil etc. I do not know how the stock wench would work if did that.

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 427's are pretty rare. There are fording kits for them also. They bring the exhaust up beside the bed. (I have 2 of the kits)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks