• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bought truck through government liquidation, need help

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking truck.. if someone could do some inspections and top off the fluids then you could fly out and drive it back. it would be an adventure to say the least:doghead:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrads and Welcome!

The 5 part 23 series of Tm's was just recently released and are more comprehensive than the old 4 part 24 series. I would recommend downloading these instead of the 24.

These cover step by step diagnostics and repairing including ABS which is not covered in the 24's.

See this link:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/93023-mother-load-tms.html

My only advise is to check the water pump belt as that is what tripped me up and it is not a roadside repair. I would advise investing in a powerlink belt that can be used in an emergency and get you down the road.

Amazon.com: Power Twist V-Belt: Home Improvement

Nice looking truck!:driver:

erixun

I am the member that Markmontana said is going down to help my brother recover his truck from the Barstow lot.

I went down and drove mine back a few days ago. It was alot of fun! :driver:

DSCF3198.jpg

DSCF3185.jpg

I will be on/in the Barstow lot this wed morning and would be happy to check out your truck- and ensure all the fluids are in there for you. Let me know if you need/want me to do this for you.

Good luck with your truck and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

markmontana

My only advise is to check the water pump belt as that is what tripped me up and it is not a roadside repair. I would advise investing in a powerlink belt that can be used in an emergency and get you down the road.

Amazon.com: Power Twist V-Belt: Home Improvement
Just an opinion on these belts. I thought this would be a great item to carry along. After spending a few hours trying to get the correct belt size, and no luck- I called the manufacturer and these belts are not made for truck motors- not even light duty. Machines and tools- drill presses, band saws, etc.

Now- could you get by in a bind? Maybe, but they told me no way- no how, so I no longer think it's a good idea.

Carry spare belt and tools to change. And cross your fingers- many trucks are being driven with no belt problems.

Good link on the TM's!

rrrr

I would have it hauled to you. With your lack of experience with these trucks, your asking for trouble. I had my 932 trailered from Camp Shelby. I was glad I did. Even though I had it looked at by an SS member and it said starts and runs, there turned out to be an air brake issue. It rendered the truck unsafe for the road. It took me 3 days to figure out the issue. I have since helped 2 others recover trucks without issue. In each case we were able to fully go over the vehicles to make sure they where road worthy. I even drove my truck in case we needed to flat tow a truck.

In the end the decision is yours.

Good luck.

flibob

Good luck,

Whatever you decide to do. If you have a smartphone I recommend Tapatalk. Not while at the wheel though. If you are in a big jam some guys will call you a dumby but most will do what they can to help getting you back on the road.

Fuel is expensive and would not even consider driving at night.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another problem with the M939 trucks if if they have sat idle for a long time, the brakes can stick on them. Usually all it takes to get them unstuck is a good solid hit on the drum with a hammer. The problem is that you can't hardly get a good swing at it. I always carry a long bar and a sledge so I can reach down from the top and break the drum free.

michigandon

Just an opinion on these belts. I thought this would be a great item to carry along. After spending a few hours trying to get the correct belt size, and no luck- I called the manufacturer and these belts are not made for truck motors- not even light duty. Machines and tools- drill presses, band saws, etc.

Now- could you get by in a bind? Maybe, but they told me no way- no how, so I no longer think it's a good idea.
FWIW...I used a Power Twist belt to run the alternator on a Fairmont two-stroke in an M9 rail speeder. The only alternative to that would have been to remove a huge cast iron flywheel of of a tapered shaft that had been mated together since the Truman Administation. :eek: I put a gazillion miles on that car and never had a lick of trouble with it, and I would not be one bit surprised if I heard that its still on there.

guffer

Thank you for your offer erixum, If you don't mind checking out my truck, I think it would be great to have you do that.
I want to thank every one for your replies and advice. I feel a lot better. guffer

erixun

PM sent for more info, I will be glad to do it.

OH, I forgot to ask for your cell# in the PM, throw it in your reply and I will call you.

markmontana

Guffer was having a good recovery- talked to him Thursday shortly after he picked it up. Hope to hear that he made it home ok.

I was recovering a 915 at the same time in Nellis and made it home that same day.

lost in the bush

Haul unless Mechanic

Hello everyone, let me introduce myself. My handle is guffer, never been on a forum before (hope I do everything right). Never been in the military, so I am totally ignorant as to any military base rules and regulations.
I will get to the point. I won an auction on government liquidations for an AM General model 925 (1984 5 ton cargo truck). The truck is in Barstow CA., I live in Alpine WY., 800 miles away.
The condition of the truck was rated as F-7 (economically repairable). It said the truck started.
1. What do you think the odds are that I could drive this truck home. I know this is a loaded question, but maybe some of you have experience.
2. Is there any way I could contact someone on the base to confirm whether the truck is road worthy?
I have not heard good things about this company on this or any other site, but I am not going to condemn anyone but myself if this turns into a nightmare.
I assume that some of you have been in the military, and could have some advise that I could use. Any help would be welcome.

Glad you made it home

alignv3d

Take a chance. I just recovered my second. M931 from Santa Fe NM. Checked everything and drove her home 1000 miles towing my Dodge behind me . Not a problem one. Maybe the third will bite me. :grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks