• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bouncing Speedometer Needle

cjkeeliii

I didn't find anything in the CUCV forum relating to this. My speedometer needle bounces, (worse during hot weather). Is there any fix short of ordering a new speedometer? I've already installed a new cable. Thanks.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
did you check the cable tube when installing the new cable, sounds like a slightly pinched cable

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes the bouncing needle is an indiction that the cable needs to be greased but the hot weather thing is unusual. Did you try greasing the original cable and has the new cable been greased? Other than that I'd guess the issue is in your trans based on the hot weather comment.

SasquatchSanta

I took the tach and speedo cables out of my M35, gave them a good washing and greasing and installed them. It worked pretty well BUT the needles still jump around when I play "Dukes Of Hazard" ..... "EEeeeHHaaaaa!" :shock:

cjkeeliii

The new cable isn't pinched, and I used the grease that came with it when I installed it. I also have another speedometer from another m1008. When I installed that one, it also bounced. Could there be a problem in the transmission, and what part do I ask for, and how hard is it to replace? I think the odds of two speedometers having the same problem are slim.

JohnFire

Mine did that when I first bought it. It ended up being the plastic gear stripped out down in the transfer case. I think it was around $6-$10. The local auto parts store in germany was able to get it then. Now you might have to get it from a dealer. Easy part to change.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plastic! Figures! Thanks for the info guys, I'm sure it'll help a lot of CUCV owners!

cjkeeliii

Problem Resolved

I just wanted to add this in case anyone experiences a similar problem: start with the simplest fix and work your way up. No brainer, right? After replacing the speedo cable and speedo gear, which has 44 teeth on a stock m1008, I found a web sight that repairs speedometers. There FAQ page said that a bouncing needle is sometimes caused by the oil in the speedometer drying out and dust collecting in the speedometer. I lubed the speedometer with CLP and all bouncing, except at around 10-15 mph, has stopped. Hope this helps the next poor sucker.

Last edited: