• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boy Scout Troop Deuce Transport Pictures!!!

FormerNewMVGuy

I was just recently aproached by the local boy scout troop,( I'm good friends with the scout master) They would like me drive them in the next parade and fly there banner on the side as you did,
I told them i would, but I'm a little scared, the way all these city yuppies around here are kinda sue happy! Should i make up some kind of seat belts? Or do i have to have them sign waivers of some sort?

ChapelHillDEUCE

One more thing... we ALWAYS have an adult in the back with the kids. That way if someone starts doing something dangerous, the parent can intervene. A chain or heavy strap across the back is also a great idea.

We are also going to be in our town's Christmas parade with the Deuce. Make sure you get a picture of your truck in the parade to post here.

Thanks for helping out the scouts...

CGarbee

Great to see the duece hauling a load of scouts. :) Did you get the duece from Outdoorbum??

My introduction to Power Wagons was getting to drive one at Scout Camp back in the day (Camp Powhatan, Blue Ridge Mountains Council, VA). I've been bitten by the Power Wagon/MV bug ever since.

According to NC law, you MUST have an adult in the back if you have kids under twelve in the back, and it's a good idea when you have older kids such as your Scouts. Also a very good idea to have the cargo safety strap in pace accross the back (between the side racks, over the tailgate). I have a spare one if you need it...

Consider participating in the State Veterans' Day Parade in Raleigh on November 10 (a day early since Veterans' Day falls on a Sunday this year). The NCMVPA will have a collection of MV's in the parade along with trucks driven by active duty units and by some of the Veteran's groups.

I've got a copy of the NC statute dealing with hauling folks (kids in particular) in the beds of trucks on my website that you might want to print out and file with the truck in case somebody sees the boys and gets concerned... See:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/kidlaw.htm

Hollar if you need help with the rig, there are a bunch of us in the area who have experience with these...

Enjoy!

YankeeDuece

I hade a bed full of Tiger Cubs last year on "Bottle Drive" This year although not approached yet, first official meeting is Monday, I am sure I will be hauling a bed full of Wolf Scouts. As mentioned above, a parent is essential in the bed as well as the safty strap between troop seats.

littlebob

My original intention was to use mine for our local Young Marine unit. I hoped to have it ready in a year and now think I am probably still that far away. In the meantime I found out that our insurance would not allow transportation in an open truck bed. Not tryinging to be a partypooper, just might to check on how much liability you have. The Truck looks great and I wish I had bought one in the same shape, but half the fun to me is having something to work on.

littlebob

jmcguffin

Cabell,

Your correct, this is the one that came from Outdoorbum. He's a great guy and has helped us with information and contacts ever since we met him. I'm the other part owner with ChapelHillDEUCE that went to " just look" on a Saturday afternoon. Our wives won't let us go out to play without adult supervision anymore. We pretty much fell in love with it driving around his neighborhood and trying not to run over mailboxes. Didn't quit grinning for week after that. It is a great truck with 0 rust. The hard top seems to make a big difference in how one of these ages over 40 plus years.

We've spent the summer touching it up and changing the fluids. We went your website as we were learning about operating a Deuce in NC and it was a real help getting us started. I'm sure there will be plenty of questions as we use it more. Looks like we have a weeping rear wheel seal, and a cranky sprague clutch. From what I can tell by reading through the forums, this is normal stuff.

I'll check and see if anything is scheduled for Nov 10. If the date is clear, a trip to Raleigh for a parade would be fun.

Also, a big thanks to all on the Steel Soldiers site. The knowledge here and the willingness to share information is just amazing.

Cheers,

Jim McGuffin

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Congrats! I've never seen another troop with a deuce, but when I was stationed in England, I was an Assistant Scout Leader with the 14th Bushey & Oxhey Scout Group. Our Venture Scouts (Brit equivalent to Explorers) had a WC54 that they had painted "Boy Scout Green" with "14th B & O" on the right side of the bumper and the international (purple) Scout badge on the left side of the bumper. When I was stationed in Germany, our (American) Scout troop had an M37, painted light OD with the Scouts fleur-de-lis on the doors. Scouting is an excellent way of putting "retired" military vehicles to good use! :D

CGarbee

littlebob said:
P.M. me or let be known to the world about the parade in Raleigh, so I can let my sisterthat lives there know. littlebob
I'll post up about this in a seperate thread when I get some more details (and will PM you). Meanwhile, the parade starts at 10:00AM on Nov. 10 and bassically runs up Fayetteville Street through downtown and circles the Capitol Square. We then set up on the Square for the speaches and displays...

We have a list of Veterans' Day and Christmas parades and events statewide that we will be participating in on the www.ncmvpa.website...

Gryphon

That is sweet!
I was been in the BSA for about 20 years (SM, ASM, TC, etc...) I would have LOVED to have one for my old troop! I didn't really get interested until I moved here to AZ and drove ours at the fire dept.

I work at a boarding school/rehab; we are starting an automotive program and I am trying to talk my boss into letting me get us a M35 to work on too. (Besides, we are a working horse ranch too...we could really use one!)

stephenfeldmeier

I'm glad I'm not the only one that did scouting with a deuce, If you read my article I wrote in issue #79, "restoring an M211" I did it just for scouting. I drove that deuce all over the Black Hills and Devil's Tower area in it. I'm not in scouting anymore, found a rail road job that took up all my spare time. Had fun doing it for the few years I did it. See the following pics

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks