• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boyce alternator kit issue?

Gypsyman

I installed the Boyce alternator kit a few months ago when my original died. Aside from the fitment issues that I tried to discuss with them to no avail (which will be corrected later) I've noticed something else. The volt meter now bounces at idle (see the attached video link). With just the slightest rpm increase things smooth right out. Is this the regulator kicking in and out due to the RPM at the alternator being too low? It's happening so quickly that I can't get a solid read with my DVM.

Common sense leads me to believe that the pulley is slightly too large as supplied to provide the needed RPM at idle.

Thoughts?

rustystud

Electronic regulators can be "fickle" things at times. I've had good name brand units act strange straight out of the box, and no name units that worked great. It can come down to a simple bit of solder on a transistor causing trouble. So for my 2 cents worth, if it charges your batteries and keeps them charged with all your accessories on then don't worry about it. If your experiencing a low battery then by all means replace the unit.
As of this morning my 1984 Chev 1 ton Air-Force truck has a regulator that discharges at idle sometimes. The other times it is charging like a "Banshee" at idle !!!
It keeps the battery charged though, so I don't worry about it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks