• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boyhood dream nearing completion

Capt.Marion

I usually stop in Rhinebeck, NY (12571) to visit family on my way from Boston to ATL.

Here is my route: MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

I90W from Boston, across the NY state line to the Taconic State Parkway
Taconic southbound to Rte 199 for Red Hook/Rhinebeck
199 to and over the Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge
Stay straight until the Thruway
Thruway/I87 south to I84W

I've got a Chevy Avalanche 1500, but no trailer. From doing the math, a jeep and trailer is comfortably within the limits of the Avalanche. The trick is acquiring/borrowing a trailer.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The jeep is about 20 minutes away from the kingston/rinecliff bridge.... sounds like this is all doable.. when is your next trip?

Last edited:

Capt.Marion

May 21st, give or take one day.

EDIT: could either one of y'all (CARNAC or emmado) send me more specific details on where this is being rebuilt? I'm idly curious since I've spent a lot of time in the Rhinebeck/Red Hook area in the past.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a private indivdual who loves WWII Jeeps and enjoys restoring them. He is in Hopewell Junction NY. You could head down 9 our of Rheinbeck and pick up I84 before the Newburgh Beacon Bridge. It wouldnt be out of your way at all, if this all pans out. It's in Carnac's hands now.

Last edited:

Gun Goober

Yes, a 1946, found it in a barn after 30 years. Put jumper cables on it and it fired up. Drove it around the yard a bit then onto a triler. Its like my deuce, "a work in progress."

Gun Goober

Yes, a 1946, found it in a barn after 30 years. Put jumper cables on it and it fired up. Drove it around the yard a bit then onto a triler. Its like my deuce, "a work in progress."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks