• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Bleeder screw size

roady

Does anyone happen to know the actual size of the brake bleeder screws for our Deuce. I have one that is leaking a real little bit and was going to order a couple to replace the bad one and have a few on hand. The one that is leaking is on one of my airpacks.

Are the ones on the airpacks the same size as the wheel cylinders?

Thanks for any input provided.

Atomic

Don't know about the size but I just bought 13 for my M211 from napa. Same length and size for about 23 bucks. Had them on the shelf. Now onto total brake line replacement...aua

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pushed the old fluid out of the disconnected lines today [alcohol flush tomorrow] and tightened up the bleed screws in the re-built wheel cylinders while I was at it. One of the six had to have a 12-mm wrench to tighten it, not 7/16". It has a longer 'nut' section as well. What's up with that?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pushed the old fluid out of the disconnected lines today [alcohol flush tomorrow] and tightened up the bleed screws in the re-built wheel cylinders while I was at it. One of the six had to have a 12-mm wrench to tighten it, not 7/16". It has a longer 'nut' section as well. What's up with that?

I've encountered a few that have decayed/rusted to the point a smaller wrench was required. Might just be an odd bleeder screw from an import wheel cylinder. Before I started building bleeders, I had purchased speed bleeders for all the trucks, thats why I remembered the thread size and pitch.

rlwm211

Bleeder screws do not leak, wheel cylinders do

I hate to be the bearer of difficult news but I have found that the new replacement wheel cylinders have bleeders that have a 12mm hex on them. I have not explored them as to whether the threads are metric, and I would imagine they would not be metric because the internal threads should be running pipe thread.

If you have a bleeder that is leaking it is most likely NOT the bleeder screw itself. The bleeder uses a tapered seat and the bleeder is harder than the master clylinder (or air pack) it screws into. 9 times out of 10, it is a piece of debris that has migrated into the space where the taper makes the seal, allowing the brake fluid to seep by. A shot of high pressure air should dislodge any particles of rust that have accumulated there. The rust is from inside the wheel cylinder normally.

In that rare case where the taper is damaged, I would wonder how it got damaged? If it was over tightened it is likely the tapered seat is malformed as well. While changing a wheel cylinder is a PITA it sometimes is the only real way to know your brakes are going to work properly. The other reason for changing a wheel cylinder is that the reason they leak is due to rust inside the bore of the wheel cylinder causing the leak at the bleeder and the rust is a timebomb waiting to happen as far as a major brake failure. Once the bore of a wheel cylinder is pitted and is deteriorating, the piston can stick, leak by the seal or blow out all at once.

All of this says that when you are dealing with leaky bleeders you need to look to the cause of the leak, and it is definitely not the bleeder screw that caused the leak.

Just my two cents....

RL

Last edited:

roady

RL,

Thanks for the post. I will do some more looking into it. My truck is an 1987 and so far everything I have taken apart and checked on the brake system looks really good. I have pulled apart the airpacks and front wheel cylinders and they where spotless. But when I put everything back together and bled them that is when the slight leak started. I have tried twice to re-tighten with no luck. It is very slight but I wont sleep knowing that a brake componet is leaking even though I do have the split-brake system.

I probably wont get a chance this week to fool with it but will post back when I find something out.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just purchased two new brake cylinders from NAPA for a M105. The old ones were frozen and pitted too bad. One cylinder was Bendix (USA), the other was made in China. Both were same shape, and had the same size bleeder screws....7/16".

rlwm211

Try using 400 grit emery cloth and spin the bleeder in your fingers while smoothing the surface. You may have minor scrathes on the surface. Most likely the point is bottoming out before the taper seals. If you look at the port where the bleeder goes, you will see that the bleed port is above the bottom a bit. If I am correct, you can blunt the tip slightly and get the taper to seal.

Hope this helps

RL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks