• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Bleeding Lesson (The Hard Way)

Tackettr

When bleeding your brakes with a pressure bleeder, "Do not push down on your brake pedal!" . It appears that if you have air in your lines and the pedal goes down too far, the pressure in the reservoir will push fluid in front of the piston and out of the front of the master cylinder on the ground. I wasted a lot of fluid and went chasing the wrong problem because of this! :oops::oops::oops::oops:

If you want to "feel" your brake pedal travel be sure to take the pressure off your bleeder first!

I'm sure there was Caution about this in the thread telling me how to make and use my pressure bleeder. But I missed it! :-D

Last edited:
The most simple way to bleed brakes is without the pressure bleeder. We've done it various ways, the best is to drain the air tanks, install a fitting into the drain plug opening to connect your shop air hose quick coupler, set your regulator on 15PSI. Bleed the entire system the old fashioned way gently pumping the pedal & opening bleeders starting at the booster. Pour a small amount of fluid into a glass container, use a rubber hose to connect to the bleeder & submerge it in the fluid in the container so air isn't drawn back in through an open bleeder. Very simple & gives a perfect bleed out every time.

Tackettr

I've done it the "old fasion way" also and after doing it correctly with my pressure bleeder, I will never do it the old way again.

The pressure bleeder is nice! Just don't push your brake pedal when its pressured up! :-D:-D

Also, not sure why you would need air pressure on the duece? I know its "air assist" but doesn't take that much pressure just to bleed the system.

CurryRA

Thanks for the heads up. I just finished building a pressure bleeder to take care of the brakes on my M35A2 and I'm sure I would have made the same mistake. :roll:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I've done it the "old fasion way" also and after doing it correctly with my pressure bleeder, I will never do it the old way again.

The pressure bleeder is nice! Just don't push your brake pedal when its pressured up! :-D:-D

Also, not sure why you would need air pressure on the duece? I know its "air assist" but doesn't take that much pressure just to bleed the system.

Since I'm Soldier A, B, and C..... I have to use the pressure bleeder :p

The reason I shared this is because many deuce owners who on occaision need to bleed the system don't have pressure bleeders, we've told our customers who work with the old way this method for years, never had a complaint come back as a result. If a brake system is built correctly, bleeding isn't something that will be needed often at all, most simply aren't interested in purchasing or building a pressure set up for such occaisional use has always been the line I've heard. What ever you prefer is what you should use.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made one of Kenny's..recovery4x4...power bleeder out of a hudson sprayer. Works better than a pressure pot!

bugei

mseriesrebuild,

you might want to search out the recovery4X4 pressure bleeder. it uses a garden sprayer, and costs about $12 total from lowes or home depot. i built my version of the bleeder, and had the brakes completely bled in well under 30 minutes. there is no reason to bleed the brakes anyother way unless you are broke down on the side of the road. the best part of all this was i do not have to get my always unwilling wife to "help" when i need to work on the brakes.

ida34

I have a commercial pressure bleeder that has connections for late model Fords and one for my CUCV. I made a connector to adapt it to the deuce. It is just like a bug sprayer but has a built in pressure gauge so you do not pump it up too much. You must be very careful when using a pressure bleeder and not pump it up too much.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I'm Soldier A, B, and C..... I have to use the pressure bleeder :razz:
Would that be, Tom, Dick and Harry, or Larry, Curly and Moe?:razz:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a commercial pressure bleeder that has connections for late model Fords and one for my CUCV. I made a connector to adapt it to the deuce. It is just like a bug sprayer but has a built in pressure gauge so you do not pump it up too much. You must be very careful when using a pressure bleeder and not pump it up too much.

So what is too much? I have been using mine @ 15 psi.