• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brake bleeding

goatijoe

I replaced the master cylinder today and went about bleeding the brakes like always had worked farthest away to closest. Now i don't have a good pedal now. Is there a wrong way and a right way to do this? and another question i have where does the vent tube on the top tie in to on that line? where does it go?

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The vent tube goes up the front of the firewall. Not sure about the bad pedal though. Sounds like your bleeding it right to me.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you bleed the air pack first?

Did you use a power bleeder?

Follow the vent line, it's about 4 feet long. It may go up near the air filter housing(MWO) or it may tie into your road draft tube.

goatijoe

No i did it the old fashion way with someone else pumping them. so i need to start with the air pack then move to the right rear and work my way across the tandems then to the front. Is there a better way to this than that way? I'm always open to new ideas on doing things might find a way that works better than mine.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the correct order.

Dot 5 can and will trap tiny bubbles when pumping it alot.

Wait til tomorrow, and feel the pedal. Then, consider re bleeding if needed.

seabeeut

search for pressure bleeder's I used to do it with pedal or vacum
then read the post's here on building your own PSI bleeder
what a difference I will never go back also you can do it yourself
you don't need two people.2cents

goatijoe

Ok ill do that tomorrow I have got to get some more fluid tomorrow. I about ran out. The thing with starting with the air pack is wrong with the way I have always done things starting with the farthest out working closer. Thanks for the heads up on where i need to start. Do you know why Dot 5 will trap air in it?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It just does, and by manually pumping the brake rather than use a power bleeder, you make a lot of bubbles.

Look inside the MC res while pumping the pedal, you'll see what I'm talking about.

goatijoe

Seabeeut- I saw some of the ideas that they had for that i might just make one. I use a board or stick to hold the pedal when i don't have someone to help. Don't ask old boss man of mine taught me that he was from the old school back when tractor trailers had no air brakes just hydraulic brakes. I had my gf pump and hold them today.

goatijoe

Ok yall, I bled the brakes again and i will get a hard pedal sometime and them sometimes not. i get a real good pedal after a few pumps. i can hear the air pack working, none of the wheel cylinders are weeping fluid. i don't know what it could be.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you done a wheel bearing service and full brake adjustment yet?

Why did you change your master cyl to begin with?

goatijoe

No, i haven't done any of that yet. I have checked the wheel bearings and they have no play in them. I don't have much experiences with the working on the brakes on them. I have worked on all different style of truck brakes but this is the first that has had a air powered booster. I changed the master cylinder because of a problem with it not wanting to stop good and its what every one said it was.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long has it been since anyone has serviced and inspected your brake system?

If the shoes are not adjusted properly, the pedal will be low.

Please explain , not wanting to stop good.

where did you get a new MC? Did you inspect it throughly before installing it?

goatijoe

I looked at them when i first got it and everything was good on them. When i first got it it would stop on a dime and hear recently it got hard to stop. It would stop but not real fast when the pedal was almost on the floor, if i pumped them it would stop good. Sometimes i had a good pedal right off and it would stop on a dime. It acted like the fluid was bypassing around the plunger. I got the MC from Jim Henry and i did inspect it everything looked good on it. The MC was a nos with all the plugs and everything rust free .

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, you need to do a 100 % visual on the rest of the system.

I would rebuild the air pack next. And pull the hubs and rebuild all wheel cyls.

dgardner

Banned
Did you bench bleed the MC before installing it? Sometimes air can stay trapped inside a MC because the pedal won't run it full stroke. Power bleeding might take care of that but maybe not.

joshs1ofakindxj

I think the total cost of building a pressure bleeder for me was less than $20 for a weed sprayer bottle and some brass fittings. I also installed a remote brake fluid reservoir and pressure bleed at the cap there.

Don't go over 6-8 pumps of the sprayer. I blew out the seals in my master cylinder and had to hone and rebuild it.

goatijoe

THANK YOU ALL!!!! It is all fixed and rolling again. I took all the wheels off and inspected the whole brake system wheel cylinders are all good just the brakes where way out of adjustment. I had to replace the master cylinder due to leaking from the plunger side so you have to start with a known problem and go from there. She stops good I almost went thou the windshield when i hit them. Hopefully i wont have any more problems.:driver::grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks