• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brake caliper help

notsosanestan

i need help asap i put a dana 60 in my m1009 and i cant seem to get the caliper wedge or whatever u would call it to go in. do u hammer them from the outside in or inside out? i got the new wedges from napa but the springs the go under dont even fit under thanks for any help

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to slide the spring and retainer in by hand.

Your new caliper should have come with instructions that tells you the clearance needed to install them. Did you check that?

The spring goes on top.

Last edited:

TGP (IL)

Make sure the caliper is all the way up in the mount at the top.
Lot of times due to the weight of the caliper and the drag of the pads if the piston aren't collapsed you can have trouble getting the caliper to
"seat" at the top.
Also make sure you got "Standard" lock wedge's and not "oversize" which is also available to compensate for wear.
TGP

notsosanestan

they did not come with a paper and i guess i did get oversize ones but it was the only ones napa said they had it was hard to get off the original ones.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What part number did you get(support key) retainer.

they can be purchased seperately or in pairs. Some with more hardware.

Just the retainer(support key) is,
Product Line: NAPA ULTRA PREMIUM BRAKE PARTS Per Car Qty.: 2
Compare UP 83120

DokWatson

Goes on from the inside IIRC. You have to push the caliper up and make sure its seated while you slide it in. They go in as one piece, don't try to put the wedge in after the retainer. You shouldn't be hammering on anything.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either way, it will go in.

notsosanestan

thank u guys alot i will get the normal size kit from advance auto parts and go from there ill keep u posted so this thread isnt another no answer one