• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake cylinder wisdom

sellbooze

So I have read many posts on replacing brake cylinders. Looks pretty straight forward. I bought a new one from OD Iron, and a gallon of DOT 5. Any words of wisdom that have been learned by OJT ? Do's , dont's ?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Pull them all at once, hone them with BFS as honing fluid and put it back together. While its drained, I would pull the master apart and clean the components even if you don't install a rebuild kit.

scoutmanadam

get as much bad, worn, and old components out of your brake system as possible, if you are doing just one cylinder, i would replace them all if feasible. also, pads, rubber lines and anything and everything that can be replaced on the brake systems i would replace or at least look at very carefully. im going through all that now on mine and its well worth the time inspecting everything. the pedal only has to go to the floor once to cause an accident.

besides that, the brakes on these trucks are very easy to work on, you should have no problems if you have ever done any brake before

rlwm211

While you have the hubs off, you can pack the wheel bearings and inspect and/or replace the seals. Oh, you will need the 8 sided 3" socket to deal with the nuts on the spindle.