• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Fluid coming out of Vent in engine bay...

merlot566jka

Hey guys!

Long story short, I thought I had a leak and to be overly cautious, I replaced the master cylinder and all of the wheel cylinders. No visible external leaks. Ran a clear piece of hose from master cylinder into the cab and topped it off. Fluid disappears every time I drive still. I've been topping it off as I drive, hoping to find some sort of leak. No external leaks. I flipped my hubs this weekend and checked each wheel cylinder and line... no leaks still. (going on a year with no evidence of a leak)
I read the threads on the vent line from the top of the master cylinder. I removed that vent line a year ago when I installed my "vent hose reservoir".

I recently smelled something funky burning in the engine area, smelled like coolant. I checked it out to find brake fluid that had sprayed out of the vent line all over the air cleaner, valve cover and exhaust manifold.

So I have brake fluid coming out of the air pack relief vent? How is that happening?

More importantly, how do I fix it?

Thanks guys!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebuild or replace your air pack.

63C20

I feel your pain..... I had the same issue, rebuilt the 2 airpacks (AF Truck), did not fully fix the problem, even though I was pretty anal about the rebuild, Ended up buying NOS old style packs, sucked it up and did not look back, Hope they last another 20 years ! Another hint: be sure to replace the copper crush washers on the MC, ask me how I know......

Replacing them up front would have saved a month of down time, lot to be said for convenience.

The Truth only hurts if it should.

Avatar - Four 2nd Lieutenants heading north in the field

Last edited:

scootertrs

Yup bad airpak. It is cheaper to rebuild them but I find new ones last MUCH longer.
Well... 1+ year ago I got a new one... and yesterday I was going for a ride about... only to find a pool of brake fluid under the vent... hmmmm... maybe if I had rebuilt it and done it right, I would not be holding up a Christmas parade because of a bad air pack... I am rebuilding my next one... It's a shame... all new wheel cylinders, shoes, hoses, lines, master, air pack... just so this would not happen... what the heck... I can bitch and cry... but still gonna have to get done... so might as well skip the bitching and crying... and get her done -:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks