• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake fluid question

NormB

This:
View attachment PS Silicoen Brake Fluid 586-02-03.pdf
1982 m35a2 bought from the government thru government liquidation.
Brake fluid in master cylinder low, plus leak at one of the rear wheel cylinders, so i need to fix wheel cylinder leak (possibly bleed) and top off fluid.
There is the usual mil-b-46176 sticker on the underside of the master cylinder access door specifying the use of the silicone brake fluid.
I've never added brake fluid to this truck and the brakes work ok.
When i stuck my finger in the master cylinder and pulled it out the fluid was a golden amber color.
Silicone brake fluid is colored purple.
Dot 3 and dot 4 is colored clear to amber.
Mixing the two would not be the thing to do.
I know the military is supposed to be using the purple silicone brake fluid and i'm assuming that that is what should be in the system, but it seems like there is dot 3 or 4 in the system.
Before disaster strikes what advice is there on verifying what i already have in the brake system?
Any advice is appreciated. Does it seem likely that someone in the military serviced this truck with dot 3/4 rather than the silicone fluid?
Anyone run into this before? Any thoughts?