• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Fluid Reservoir

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Near full, depending on brake wear. The more the brakes are worn the lower it will be, and I don't know the lower limit, but as long as it's near the top you should be good.
And yes, Silicon Brake Fluid only (DOT5) unless you've completely flushed out the system and using DOT3 or 4 (which people occasionally do, but very uncommon)

Reactions: REF

92'M998

Near full, depending on brake wear. The more the brakes are worn the lower it will be, and I don't know the lower limit, but as long as it's near the top you should be good.
And yes, Silicon Brake Fluid only (DOT5) unless you've completely flushed out the system and using DOT3 or 4 (which people occasionally do, but very uncommon)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WHAT IN THE WORLD WERE "THEY" THINKING WHEN "THEY" CAME UP WITH DOT 5.1 BRAKE FLUID??????

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Well for one... it does not absorb moisture and rust the system from the inside out. Who has time to be rebuilding DOT 3 /4 system on a fleet of trucks and trailers? Don't get confused with DOT 5.1 just cuz it sounds like DOT 5.

DO NOT MIX Dot 5 with any other Dots or stand by for a mess or failure. Ask my daughter....

When she was using the cool camo CUCV (DOT5) to school and back, The auto shop boy's talked her into a peek under the hood. Shop boy's not paying attention to ??? topped off the master cylinder. Three days latter... Daddy the brake light keeps coming on and it hard to stop. Ok, Let's check it out. I know my rigs and after going over it, IT came to light (no pun) I had some little helpers down at the HS. Daddy wasn't a happy camper.

ONLY DOT 5 for me, CAMO

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DOT 5.1 is a Glycol based fluid like DOT 3-4, why in the world would they call it 5.1 it makes no sense at all, it has a higher boiling point than DOT 4, they could have called it DOT 6.
You want to really screw things up fast put DOT 3 in a DOT 2 vehicle, DOT 2 is a caster oil based fluid, found out the hard way in the early 70s with my Triumph GT-6

Hummer Guy

Mines is near full but the brake pedal is very stiff, should I remove some?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mines is near full but the brake pedal is very stiff, should I remove some?
What do you mean when you say the pedal is "stiff" ?? do you have to reach down and pull it back? or do you mean it takes allot of pressure to apply the brakes???

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
we've become spoiled with modern anti-lock brakes and all the fancy electronics in modern vehicles.
On an empty truck, due to how the brake system is proportioned, it's very easy to lock up the rear wheels until you get used to them. The brake system is set up for optimal braking with full load, so empty there just isn't the weight over the back wheels necessary for them to keep spinning when they're receiving more braking power than the front are.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks