• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake fluid

GUNNY 155

Given that silicone based brake fluid is what the mil specs calls for on M37's I was wondering if that is what folks are commonly using. Also has anyone had leak problems using the silicone based fluid.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silicone (DOT 5) works great in M37's. Start with new/rebuilt master and wheel cyls and blow out the lines. Will be the last time you work on the hydraulic system in your lifetime.

gungearz

You can use whatever brake fluid you want in any system.... PERIOD but make sure whatever you use, you don't mix dot 3/4 with dot 5... military uses dot 5 because it does not mix with water and cause the brake lines to rot out.... it's more of a insurance for equipment then anything... dot 3 and 4 can be washed off, mixed with water and corrode your lines... dot 5 cannot....

ton10291

You can use whatever brake fluid you want in any system.... PERIOD but make sure whatever you use, you don't mix dot 3/4 with dot 5... military uses dot 5 because it does not mix with water and cause the brake lines to rot out.... it's more of a insurance for equipment then anything... dot 3 and 4 can be washed off, mixed with water and corrode your lines... dot 5 cannot....
What happens if a little DOT 3 gets mixed with DOT 5 as would happen if the DOT 3 was bled out and DOT 5 added until all bleeders ran purple?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What happens if a little DOT 3 gets mixed with DOT 5 as would happen if the DOT 3 was bled out and DOT 5 added until all bleeders ran purple?
I've done this and have had no issues (5 years ago). I had trucks where folks mixed the liquids. If it jelled, you need to change out components (Master cylinder, wheel cylinders, airpack etc). If no jelling, then a major flush until you see DOT 5 bleeding that looks so good you'd put it right back in your Master cylinder, you'll be good. I've had zero issues since doing this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks