• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake hose failure...new hose!

59apache

Chipmaker
Gentlemen,
one year ago i meet a buddy with a M109. we went wheeling, at the evening we are talking REO and stuff. He told me that he is feeling uncomfortable with the single brake system. direct qoute: i've changed all brakes hoses, new cylinder, fresh fluid, everything is fine, but i feel uncomfortable.

next day he need to stop at a steep hill, brakes and the NEW hose at the front axle slips out of the fitting. direct qoute: the pedal fell to floor and than it went's ballistic. he rolls down the hill, over the next hump, felled a small tree and stops in a hole. nobody hurt, no real damage.

i towed him back, the inspection shows that the hose was not properly pressed. there are two "marks" on the outer sleeve and only one on the hose.

and now the update.
this year pentecost we go wheeling again, same situation....
i was riding shotgun...we drive up a hill, he need to stop, suddenly a clonk, the pedal felled to floor. this time he was kind of prepared, he steps from the clutch and we rolled slowly don the hill...than 1st low back to the camp, the old hose out of the tollbox, replaced the new (damaged) one, fill up fluid, drain air out - ready.

The hose shows the same damage:
not properly pressed fitting. there are two "marks" on the outer sleeve and only one on the hose.

this time it was the hose one the second rear. no mechanical damage on the hose. not a stretched hose due articulation. It was just the pressure that has damaged the hose.
It was a new hose , out of the bag, with DOT printed on and NSN on the bag.

Long story short:
we've searched for a manufacturer that makes us high quality hose, maybe steelflex, but we can't find one. Goodridge can't help, Stahlflex can't help.

Does anybody know a good source??

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in the states, you can have them made. They will do it while you wait. They are tested on the spot. The maker has to be registered with DOT to make them. All the crimps have their mfr number on them so if in the event of a failure like the two you have seen/had, the maker is contacted and investigated. If in the event of a failure someone is hurt or worse and/or there is property damage, the maker of the hose is on the hook.

Buy new ones, don't use NOS. If there is one thing that needs demilling, it's old brake hoses.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......It was a new hose , out of the bag, with DOT printed on and NSN on the bag............... Does anybody know a good source??
Hey Jürgen, for Safety's sake!, I would replace all other hoses from that same batch, NOW...!!!
Also, maybe you could tell us YOUR source, so we know where NOT to buy our new replacement brake flex hoses.... ?

He told me that he is feeling uncomfortable with the single brake system. direct qoute: i've changed all brakes hoses, new cylinder, fresh fluid, everything is fine, but i feel uncomfortable...
Man soll ja den Teufel nicht an die Wand malen...:)

G.

59apache

Chipmaker
Here in the states, you can have them made. They will do it while you wait. They are tested on the spot. The maker has to be registered with DOT to make them. All the crimps have their mfr number on them so if in the event of a failure like the two you have seen/had, the maker is contacted and investigated. If in the event of a failure someone is hurt or worse and/or there is property damage, the maker of the hose is on the hook.

Buy new ones, don't use NOS. If there is one thing that needs demilling, it's old brake hoses.
Sounds good! Here i can get HQ hoses but only in metric dimensions.
Your recommendation is the reason for my search.....
NOS means No Old Sh...t :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
especially true with brake parts....

Mr.G.

After the first failure he replaced all the hoses. With the not really better ones from the other lot.....

emmando

who knows?? no date tag...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A little story about NOS parts:

Years ago, in a different lifetime, I was hardcore in the Mopar hobby and had a couple of nice cars. Went to all the shows, judged at Mopar Nationals (w00t!), the whole thing.

Got to know a lot of people. Knowledgeable people.

I was repeatedly told, by multiple people, 2 of which owned businesses that did nothing but sell NOS Sixties/Seventies musclecar parts that 90% of the NOS stuff out there on the market is NOS for a reason:

It is actually NOSR: New Old Stock Rejects.

For example: Quarter panel isn't stamped quite right, so the factory rejects it and it goes into the dealer parts network. No dealer ever uses it to repair a wrecked car because it's misformed, then the cars get old enough that there's no desire or use for such an item and it gets forgotten in the warehouse.

30 years later, car nuts pay $1500 for it because "ZOMG!!!11111 It's a NOS Road Runner quarter panel!!!"

YMMV

Clay James

I recently replaced my hoses and the ones on my buddy's deuce with the ones from Eriks. Now you got me nervous. I don't think they were NOS though, but a couple were made in Japan, if it was Chinese made I wouldn't dare put it on. It's time to do the ones on my M109A3 and I think I'll get some braided stainless ones made locally.

Last edited:

59apache

Chipmaker
i guess stainless braided lines are not necessary. the stainless braided teflon tube are more sensitve against kinking than the rubber ones. a good quality job and quality material, thats enough.

if i have the opportunity , i would go the route WillWagner suggested:
Custom made brake hoses from good shop. made and tested each.

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it just looks like it was not inserted all the way before it was crimped. i know some electrial pins have an inspection hole to check and see if the wire is inserted all the way after it is crimped. it would be neat if brake hoses had the same thing. on the other side with brake hoses, it might be a spot to cause corrosion.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... and if you ever wondered what a good, DOT-certified brake hose assembly has to be able to resist... read this

I.e., I didn't figure they should withstand a steady pull of 325lbs or more, without coming apart! Or that a common size 3/16", at room temperature, is supposed to resist 5000 psi before bursting!
Or surviving 150 pressure cycles to up to 1600 psi, at 295 degrees F (!), then cooled down, and still maintain its original burst strength!
And much other tortures, as well.....

G.

This and go with Teflon coasted stainless steal braided. I did it cost me about 30 bucks per hose. The fittings were the most expensive parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks