• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake hose upgrades?

rmgill

I'm going through my M35's axles right now working my way forwards on general servicing and such and I've been thinking that I want to replace my brake hoses with units from the Aero-quip shop. Steel braided lines would I think be tougher and better long term. Any thoughts on these?

Obviously, I'll have to have the hoses off but I figure when I'm redoing the front axle boots, I might as well pull the brake system hoses down and re-work those to a better setup.

Along the same lines, I'm thinking I may extend the axle vent lines up to a common feed line so I can later add a 3-4psi regulator for pressurizing the axles for fording work. I Bjorn built one of these setups years ago.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put steel braid hoses on mine. I posted pics but I can't find the thread right now. I looked for a local shop that could make up DOT certified hoses and took them one front wheel, rear wheel, and front axle to frame. They had them ready for me the next day. They make for great piece-of-mind.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

rmgill

I figure with their off road racing lines, they should be able to make up some hoses for the truck that'd handle anything I could throw the truck at.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think I've said this before (and I know Jwaller has), but the repro M44 hoses are atrocious-they dry rot much quicker than the originals. I'd say on average they're only good for about 5 years and that's absurd. Especially on a single circuit system.

If someone would tool up and start making the hose kits in stainless, I'll bet they'd have a fair amount of buyers.*

*Probably not but I'd buy a couple sets.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have two shops in Marietta that makes any brake line, using DOT approved materials. (Steel braid reinforced and Teflon lined.) I recommend B&J Hydraulics. Always had good results from them.

jasonjc

The front wheel line has an off the shelf replacment, it's a BH41221 from O'reilys. So I bet you could cross that to a SS line easy.

welldigger

I think I've said this before (and I know Jwaller has), but the repro M44 hoses are atrocious-they dry rot much quicker than the originals. I'd say on average they're only good for about 5 years and that's absurd. Especially on a single circuit system.

If someone would tool up and start making the hose kits in stainless, I'll bet they'd have a fair amount of buyers.*

*Probably not but I'd buy a couple sets.
My deuce has 05' date codes on the front rubber lines and they already have some dry rot cracks forming. I have replacement ones on the shelf... but I have been really thinking of getting some SS ones made up.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I figure with their off road racing lines, they should be able to make up some hoses for the truck that'd handle anything I could throw the truck at.
I believe they have to DOT certify if they know you are putting them on a roadworthy vehicle. I know it took them some time to certify replacement sets for musclecars such as my GTO. and they have limited applications available. I am sure they can technically handle it but not legally sell them. On the other hand, any DOT certified hose place can copy your old ones, no problem. I am willing to bet there is a place in most cities that can do that. The place that did mine is a propane place. I would have never thought they could make the hoses for me. I asked a friend if he knew a place and he recommended them. The place has been in business for years but I thought they just did propane. They did have a small sign about hoses made to order. Of course, one look inside the place and I knew they had the right equipment for what I needed. The guy showed me how their identifier is embossed on the hose ends when they swage the fittings. He showed me the pressure testing machine required by the DOT and the calibration sticker. Like I said, great piece of mind. I had search about replacement hoses on here and found that others were experienceing problems with NOS replacements so I did not want to take a chance. Ask around in your area and I am sure you will find someone local but if not, I still have my old hoses laying around and could get another set made up.

Capt.Marion

We have two shops in Marietta that makes any brake line, using DOT approved materials. (Steel braid reinforced and Teflon lined.) I recommend B&J Hydraulics. Always had good results from them.
I had some replacement rubber hoses (and a replacement brake line, too) made up for my 2 1/2 ton and Joe had some specialty lines made for his Gamma Goat at Royal Brass and Hose in Marietta--they seemed to be pretty decent, too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks