• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Issue with '72 M818

GFrost Roadkill

Looking for help. All six hubs lock up with brakes and stay locked. First foot depression is soft then locks up hard and engaged. Dropping air does not release, only letting sit for awhile does. Can be driving down the road, not touch brakes at all, and brake lights come on and they lock up tight. Any ideas? Thanks.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Probably need to go through most of your brake system.

To me it sounds like a pad or two is rubbing making heat which expands the fluid, effectively putting more pressure on the brakes cause your air pack and master cyl need rebuilt.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Is the brake pedal return spring broke, with the pedal a bit forward, the fluid can not return to the M/C and will lock things up, this plus a bit of pdeal viberation pumping the brakes (even a little bit) will pressureize the system and lock things up on it's own,

I am going this route because you say even if you dump the air, the brakes STAY LOCKED

Last edited:

GFrost Roadkill

That is an interesting thought but pretty tough to trouble shoot and diagnose. I have torn down all 6 hubs for rebuilt and cleaned brake mechs and they don't seem to be rubbing abnormally. They are either completely free or locked, nothing in between.

BigWill1985

I had similar problems on my 1978 Chevy C-50 dump truck. Problem turned out to be condensation in the master cylinder from sitting. I pulled the master cylinder, honed the cylinder, and ran a drill bit through the ports (significant amount of rust was in the smaller ports). I concluded that the return port was blocked, which maintained the brakes slightly applied, which made the fluid boil and locked up the brakes. After the rebuild, I bled the system and all has been working perfect since.

~Will Courtier~

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to adjust the brake pedal on my M818 before I drove it home. You need .5 to 1" play at the pedal if I remember right. Check the TM to be sure. If the pedal is too tight the vibration of it running or driving down the road will cause the brakes to come on or not release.

o1951

Master cylinder bleed port is either plugged per post #9, or pedal improperly adjusted. Pedal must allow piston to uncover bleed port or what are experiencing happens.

see post 12. If the right hand front glad hand is blocked completely or there has been a shut off valve added the pressure builds up in this line and applies the brakes like it is being towed like a trailer.