• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake issues....

welldigger

There's a plunger under that triangular cover. I remember someone posted that they put it in backwards and that caused the air pack to act up. God I'm trying to remember what thread that was.

rustystud

018.jpg039.jpg029.jpg011.jpgSorry to be late to the party. Stanky, have you checked the rod that pushes into the master cylinder ? It can become dislodged and hung-up on the lip of the master cylinder. As far as the short style air-pac goes I'll post some pictures for you.

stanky johanson

Thank you for the pics, im fixing to re pull my air pack, break it back down and tack pictures of how i have it assmbled. i am really confursed on this one.

jetman10

Like I said earlier, the truck had perfect brakes with a solid pedal and not much travel . Which leads me to believe that the brake shoe adjustment was ok . Just no air assist . When I bobbed it I replaced all wheel cylinders and checked the shoe adjustment , everything was fine . And, per TM, I started with the pac first with a pressure bleeder . I haven't touched it for awhile , lost a little interest .

jetman10

Mine is exactly like Stanky's . Road tested on a back road , ( luckily ) had brakes but no assist . Just like a power brake car with the engine off . Solid pedal . So, it has to be in the pac . I rebuilt the original with a kit and instructions from SS . No brakes at all . Replaced it with a NOS pac from Deleware . No brakes at all. I plumbed in a shut-off and air chuck fitting so I don't have to run the engine inside . My air runs down after a few days . It's pretty cold up here in the pine tree state ! I've also have to check the air passage to the pac .( All new wheel cylinders ) .

rustystud

028.jpg026.jpg027.jpg029.jpg029.jpg031.jpg033.jpg------Stanky, after looking at your picture I see you installed the check-valve upside down. The brass piston should be able to unseat the check-valve when it is applied.

Last edited:

stanky johanson

in my haste to take a picture i did swap the two parts by accident, but with the pack assembled in the correct way it still has the issue. just building the air valve assembly, i tested it with compressed air, moving the brass piston upwards to open the check valve.

rustystud

Did you ever check to see if the Master cylinder push-rod was hanging up on the outside of the housing ? The rod can come out of the socket in the piston real easy.

stanky johanson

Yes I did. As horrible as this sounds; I havent had a good challenging project in a while. Im that ****ed up in the head to enjoy this type of stuff.