• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake job

Cookie

My co-owner is a good mechanic but he wanted me to ask a couple of questions before we buy parts and do this job.

Any tricks or things to watch out for when replacing the brake cylinders and shoes that he should know about?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would jack it up and pull everything apart. That way, you know what you will need to have it in top-notch shape. If a cyl needs a rebuild kit, you can order it(rebuild kit). If its too pitted and you need a new one, no big deal. Once its all back together, you will only need to bleed the system once. No need to waste a bunch of dot5 if you don't have to!

Keith_J

The wheel cylinders in the federal supply system have inferior springs which lack end expanders. The rebuild kits from most have either coned end springs or crimped on expanders. These are superior because they force the rubber cups outward, assuring good seal. This prevents seepage of brake fluid on trucks with poppet breathers on the master cylinder.

When the ambient temperature drops, the pressure inside the brake system can drop when the vehicle isn't being used. This causes the cups to pull back and brake fluid can seep. If the boots retain this leaked fluid, braking performance will suffer with soft pedal and long travel.

With silicone brake fluid, most wheel cylinders clean up easily with seconds of brake hone use.

A dab of silicone sealant on the keyway cork does a great job keeping gear lube migration to a minimum. Also great for axle flange sealing.

On the rears, pulling the duals and hubs as one unit is a time saver, if you have a wheel dolly or engine hoist. I use my long 3/8" extension through the rim windows, hooking it with the chain on the engine hoist for a near perfect single point lift. Beats busting lugs and Budd nuts. But if you need to swap drums, you are out of luck.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you do the job, be sure to inspect your steering boots. If they are zippered boots, go ahead and replace them with one piece boots, and change out the inner axle seals while your at it. Not much more expense, and you'll be glad you did, when your done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks