• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Light Switch Upgrade Questions

Straightpipe

I'm getting ready to install the brake light switch upgrade on my truck. I received the switch, a tee fitting, & an elbow fitting in the kit. I haven't been able to find an article on this installation. It is not apparent to me which line the switch goes into. One must be the supply & the other one is pressurized when the brakes are applied. Is it necessary to cut the line & re-flare the end? Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the switch in the hydraulic system (on the end of the slave cylinder)is a better way to go.
You will have brakelights whenever there is pressure on the brakes.
If the switch is in the airline, then no air pressure = no brake lights, but you can still use the brakes. Around 400 psi with foot pressure alone compared to about 1,800 psi with air.

About the reliability, the hydraulic switch is as reliable as any other part of the brake system, IMHO. Took one switch apart once and a membrane within the switch would have to fail, not the electrical contacts.

The only concern would be the manufacturer's pressure rating of the switch.

NAPA sells the hydraulic switches, about $8.00 I think. Memphis sells the NOS ones for about $35.00.
Don't know what the air line switch plus fittings cost, but certainly more time to install, that's for sure.

Just my 2 cents.

Crazyguyla

The military switched to an air line switch because the hydralic switch could possibly be knocked off during off road operations. it must have happened for PS magazine to cover the subject so many times *L*

2cents

Marcus

Straightpipe

Thanks guys. I'm going with the air switch because I've already got it & it was my understanding that the hydraulic switch could blow out, causing loss of brake fluid, which doesn't sound like much fun. Maybe it's only a concern during offroading as Crazyguyla says but I'm not taking any chances. I've already replaced the switch with a NAPA one a year ago & it's already quit working.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks