• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brake light switch upgrade

Z71

Are both versions (long and short) of the air pack upgradable to the air operated brake switch type? Is the same kit compatible with all air packs? n My truck air pack is the short type and still has the original fluid operated brake switch in the front.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As emmado said. The only issue I ran into with mine was the need to replace an air fitting that was the wrong diameter in the kit. I think the kit had a 1/2 inch fitting and I needed a 3/4, or the other way around.

welldigger

If you have the short air pack i would have thought it would already have the air switch. Mine is an air switch and it is mounted towards the front on the t block the air line plumbs into.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you have the short air pack i would have thought it would already have the air switch. Mine is an air switch and it is mounted towards the front on the t block the air line plumbs into.
My '87 A2C has 2 short airpacks and it uses the old style hyd. pressure switch. 2 other '87-89 USAF's I've had were the same way. So they were using the old style switch right up to the end.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've never had an A3, so I don't know how they are (air or hyd. pressure switch) but after my experience with the '87-'89's, I assumed the military did the air pressure activated switch MWO sometime in the interim between the end of A2 production and the end of A2 usage in the service(s).

I think Emmado22 has a copy of the MWO form, it probably has a date concerning the changeover.

I can also say of all the trucks I've had or worked on, which is probably over 30 at this point, extremely few had the air pressure activated switch.

welldigger

Actually now that you mention the a3 I'm not sure what type they have either. I'll have to look this weekend. My truck is an a2. I don't know if the army converted my truck or the previous civi owner did. He got the truck strait from DRMO. He also has passed away, hence why I own the truck now. My truck was also depot rebuilt in 91 according to the dash. So honestly there's no telling who did it.

Z71

The hydraulic switch is a very poor design as it is not failsafe, which is definitely needs to be. Failure of the air pressure switch will merely affect the air assist, but the brakes will still function. The hydraulic switch, if it completely burns through, will cause the brake fluid to leak, and the brakes will fail. I wonder who approved the original design.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These trucks were first built in the 1950's. It was common practice back then to use a hydraulic switch. That very same switch was used on many 50's vehicles.