• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake light switch

Lindsaym151

Hey guys,
I have put 3 new brakelight switches in the truck.
I have power to both leads , when i jump the switch lights come on. connect wires to switch and air up system ,put in stop light position and still no brake lights

three switches from 3 different dealers cant be bad!
What the heck is going on?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!auaauaauaauaaua

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air or hydraulic switches?

You should not have power to both leads(of the brake light switch plug).

Lindsaym151

I have it on the air side, How would i check if im getting airto the switch? remove switch?
If brakes are working wouldn't their be air to the switch?

DieselBob

The easiest way to check for air at the switch is to build up air pressure. Shut down engine. Remove dummy cover from trailer supply glad hand. Make sure that the valve for the trailer service air is open and go back in the cab and depress the brake pedal. If you hear the sound of air escaping from the trailer air service line than you have air at the brake light switch. They a “T”'ed together at the air pack.

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you install the switch in the air side, or did your truck come that way?

Is it on the correct air line?

I would remove the switch, and put an air gauge in place. Step on the brakes and see that you have air pressure.

I would also use a blow gun and pressurize the switch and test that.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have power to both leads , when i jump the switch lights come on. connect wires to switch and air up system ,put in stop light position and still no brake lights
You can't have power on both wires in the switch plug.

What do you mean by "put in stop light position"? Are you pressing the brake pedal when your in service drive?

Did your brake lights ever work properly?

Lindsaym151

Hey guys, Ill try the test thingy as soon as it cools down outside 90 degrees today!
No the brake lights never worked properly.
Since i bought the truck a year ago I have installed a NEW air pack.
I have tryed the switch in both settings.
If im not getting air to the switch how would I go about trouble shooting that?

Is there a simple way to make a switch that would attach to the brake pedal? Iam not a electrical enginer so it would have to be super simple!!!!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the air switch was installed in the wrong air line.

197thhhc

Do you have a picture of the switch. I wonder if you have the correct one.

Also Doghead is correct. You should not have power on both sides of the switch.

eagle4g63

If you have a multi meter handy and a second set of hands(or feet) you can put it on ohms and check for continuity through the switch......put the meter on the 2 leads and it will give a reading......have the extra set of feet push on the brakes and see what the reading is then, if you have continuity than the switch is fine......start looking into the wiring side of things.

eagle4g63

correction: I noticed you said you jumped the wires and the brake light do light up so not a wire problem......if the switch is bad there will be no continuity......or as stated above in the wrong spot.

welldigger

The switch should be tee'd into the airline that goes to the service glad hand. Pull the switch then crank the truck and let it air up. Kill the truck and set the parking brake and chock the wheels. Climb under truck and have someone else step on the brake pedal. Air should start venting from the hole and stop when your partner releases the brake pedal. If it doesn't then the switch is probably plumbed into the wrong port.

If it vents air after they release the pedal it is plumbed into the vent line. Obviously the wrong spot.

eagle4g63

OK so looking at your photos......you are 100% in the right spot......now with the light switch on the dash in the correct spot, you say you can put a jumper wire between the wires on the brake switch and your brake lights light up? if that is the case than it has to be the switch it self.........one last way to be sure though is as described above......take the switch out and have someone step on the brakes(truck off and the air tanks full) and see if air is hissing out the hole the switch was in.....just to make 100% sure you have air at the port like it should be.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks