• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake line issues

joshua022

I'm trying to replace my brake lines because I had one blow out on me a while back. However I cannot get the lines loose. I have used pb blaster and no luck plus the heads are wanting to round off.

Is there anything I can use to get more ass on them and not strip the heads? Line wrenches or maybe crows feet (that's the only name I know them by).

thank you

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, heat and vice grip pliers are your friend. Many times I've had no luck unless I pulled the block and put it in a vise.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Kroil, for two daze. no heat. Let the Kroil work................
Then cheater on locked down circular jaw-vise-grips, use real vise-grips. Curved jaw vise grips or locking jaw vise grips even better.
brakeline armored.jpgbrakes 17.jpghow to get home 3.jpg

41v3IO4MfDL._SS500_.jpegvise-grips-590.jpg

people say Kroil is expensive and use other stuff.
Kroil is the only stuff I seen go uphill or into .0001 places.
The stuff works good.

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always defer to a pair or two of vise-grips even to prevent rounding. As mentioned before, real vise-grips - as in, that specific brand. There is no substitute.

rustystud

Just cut them off. Your replacing the lines anyway right ? Well just replace the brass connectors also. Then you will know that the threads are OK . After replacing my lines, two of the brass connectors started leaking, so I had to replace them anyway. All that work to get them off and then to just throw them away. Should have done that in the beginning and
saved me all that time and aggravation .

brianp454

Do you have a source and part number for the brass connectors? I'm about to bolt up some new lines and would like to replace the T fittings if I can. I have one spare banjo fitting and would like to get another local if I can. The part number in the spreadsheet here for Oreilly did not work

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your yellow pages to see if there is a hose shop that does DOT rated brake line work local to you. The one near me had everything I needed.

catskillpond

Big Mikes Motor pool has the banjos. We tore all ours out including rubber NAPA had all the fittings we used a roll of nickel brake line easy to bend and form to old ones. The tees you can use a brass block tee and get the fittings to mate up to the lines. Bought a new flaring tool from Mac tools what a pleasure comes as a kit not one flare leaked all double flares.

rustystud

Do you have a source and part number for the brass connectors? I'm about to bolt up some new lines and would like to replace the T fittings if I can. I have one spare banjo fitting and would like to get another local if I can. The part number in the spreadsheet here for Oreilly did not work
You can get them almost anywhere brake parts are sold. If you want the military ones "Eriks" sells a banjo bolt kit.

saddamsnightmare

September 10th, 2015.

If you don't have Kroil, which I have never used, automatic transmission fluid will generally soak in and break loose the stickiest nuts and bolts, and it loves to follow very small cracks and gaps. I was able to unfreeze a Model T block for rebuilding that had been open to the air for forty years, and I was able to get the rings and big end nuts off, hone the cylinders and install new rings (no gelding of the bores). Ford ATF works very well.......[thumbzup]