• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake line leak

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed a leak at the two lines going to the master cylinder. (Air Force Deuce)Every time I parked the truck, two small puddles of brake fluid were on the ground. I checked the master cylinder and yes it was low on fluid.

Further inspection underneath showed that the leaks were right at the connection of the brakes lines to the master cylinder. I tightened both lines but something just didn't seem right. Both lines and the master cylinder were replaced before I bought the truck. The M/C and lines were still new looking.

I disconnected the first line and found exactly what I had suspected. No flare on the line at the connector. I could pull the fitting off the line if I wanted to. The other end of the line looked like a good factory type end.

A couple of weeks ago, the Snap On Tool man stops by my shop and was happy to sell me a new tubing flare kit. I got it out and read the instructions.
Cut the non-flared end off, cleaned and chamfered the end then proceeded to install a new flare. Reinstalled and took off the second line. Well that one was a little better, but the flare was not a double flare. Looked more like a screwdriver was used to flare the end. Cut it off as well and did a new flare on that end as well.

Installed and bled the lines at the air pacs.
Tested the brakes in the parking lot, good pedal and the rears lock up nicely on the asphalt. I stood on the brake pedal and didn't notice any give at all.

Moral here is "Just because it's new doesn't mean it's correct"

I do not know who installed the lines and master cylinder. I bought the truck a year ago from a dealer.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Good deal! Glad you found it by observation rather than FAILURE! I did not realize how easy it was to make a double flare till a month or so ago when I had to make a custom fuel line for my Airforce deuce. Keep up the good work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks