• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake line question

Hi,

I need to replace the brake line between the mbc and the airpack, and figured, that I could fabricate that by myself, since I have the tools for this task (I used to do that on VW beetles before).
Does anyone know the exact size of the brake line, and is this a special type (metal) or rating? Are the ends of the tubes formed in a special non-standard way (sorry, my english vocabulary...)? Don't want to take risks here.

Thanks,
Mark

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The line is commonly available at most parts houses. The lines running the side of the frame are 5/16" as is the line from the master to the air cylinder. I would suggest using a bending die as the larger the line, the easier it kinks. 3/`16" line is easily bent around your thumb, not so with 5/16"

Brake Lines

Make sure you use a double flare on the ends of the lines. I have benders by imperial, ridgid and swagelock (sp?). Steel line is hard to bend. Copper fuel line is a piece of cake. By having the right bender, it eliminates the kinks and make the job look professional (nice smooth bends). You can get short lenghts (about up to 4 feet) in straight sections. It also comes in 50 ft rolls.

RE: Brake Lines

Thanks! That helped a lot, expecially the picture, Bjorn. The line between the mbc and the airpack is kinked badly and in my opinion responsible for the slow return of the brake pedal to the neutral position after breaking. I wonder how a drop of brake fluid can pass this kink. When I'm at it I also want to replace the main line between the airpack and the first T-junction as well as the air return line from the airpack, which is almost ripped off and open.
I also see that I'll have to get a decent bender before trying my hand at this.
Unbelievable that the vehicle passed the normally very stringent technical checks here in Germany for the historical license in that condition.

Cheers,
Mark

acetomatoco

I would suggest getting oem lines from one of the many dealers in Holland who specialize in US Deuces... they are scrapping vehicles all the time. Double flaring of SAE steel tubing in Deutschland may be a bit of a chore..

What does double-flaring exactly mean? I suppose the tube in Bjorn's picture is not double flared, is it?

Problem with the OEM lines from Holland (e.g. Reomie) is that for one reason or another they hardly fit, we've had that before, and then it takes weeks and $$$ to return them and get others until they are finally right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks