• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake lines cost?

mezc

I inspected my brake lines and they are very rusty, anybody changed the whole brake lines, what was the cost and do you have any hints on this job?

deuceman08

copper is way easier to bend and cheaper like kenny said, hard to kink for those who dont have as much experience bending the lines

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Copper for hydraulic brake lines? Are you guys really that in-experienced? Take your truck to a professional shop, if you don't have the experience to know what to use or what the costs are. You guys are scaring the crap out of me!2cents

Please consider that people lives depend on your comments posted. If you have no clue, keep quiet.

Last edited:

SPECIALTYLC

If you buy the straight lines with the ends at the auto store and do your own bends the cost is not bad. If you buy them pre bent the cost is really high.

ODdave

COPPER? WTF ! :shock: (bout as efective as plastic exhaust and wooden injection lines) well with that being said, figure roughly $1 per foot for a roll of line and $1 per fitting, if your doing it
yourself. you do the math.

kenny

NO COPPER-- steel lines onlly. brake line pressure can reach 2000 psi.
Please tell me what would happen if some one used copper lines.
I never have but would have if I ever neaded new lines untill I learned here that it is a bid NO NO.

Will copper lines pop like a ballon under 2000 psi or what?

Also at most parts stores sale steel lines call bundy flex that is used for brake lines but you have to bend them to fit.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Believe it or not. The Federal Government has rules and regulations that govern the quality and safety of motor-vehicle parts(especially safety items like brake lines). Kinda like, you cant remove the seat-belts in a 2010 prius, and use hay bailing twine, instead. Or, removing your headlights and installing 2 candles in a mason jar. And yeah, copper tubing for brake lines is just about on par with those ideas!

Copper tubing is totally inadequate!

deuceman08

the copper nickel brake lines are tested and used in many applications. they are tested at 3000psi and put through corrosion tests. ive used them on my vehicles plenty of times and never had a problem. if they were so dangerous why would parts stores be allowed to sell them????

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post number 4 states, "copper", nothing else. To most, that means 100% copper tubing.

If the post stated copper alloy, coated line, and gave info on what they were talking about, the thread would not be dangerously misleading.

and yeah, he really did mean, 100% copper tubing, not DOT approved copper alloy brake-line!

Last edited:

deuceman08

i guess it could be misleading but you cant go to a parts store and ask for straight copper tubing to make a brake line so i figured he would understand what i meant

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure you can, and I bet at 80% of the AutoZone or Napa stores, most young un-experienced counter people, would never question what you asked for. "3/16" copper line, sure how much, or Oh it's cheap at Lowes/Home Depot, try there." , would be my guess, what you would hear.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brake line pressures can and do exceed 1000 psi. On no account should copper, aluminum, or commercial fuel line be used, despite the fact that they are easily available and appear to be easy to work with. Pure copper tubing work-hardens and becomes very, very brittle- especially at flare fittings. Under the cyclical loadings seen from brake applications, and in the presence of moisture (and possibly high concentrations of chlorides, if you live in a road salt area), they will almost certainly fail. They will tend to crack and fail right at the flare, generally with little or no warning.

If you decide to use cooper anyway, the next replacement on your list should be your brake shoes - just use the soles off of any old work boots.

If cooper were a good idea the OEMs would be all over it - its cheaper and easier to work with. They DO NOT use it because it isn't up to the job.