• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake master cylinder thread sizes different?

lelandEOD

I am trying to install a new MC and a rebuilt air pack on my '67 M35A2. The problem I'm having is there is a substantial leak coming from the rear of the MC (the outlet line to the air pak) from the fitting. I apply 10 lbs of pressure with my bleeder and get a steady stream of fluid.

Upon close inspection, the threaded fitting is bottomed out to the back of the MC and that is making me think the new MC has a different thread size from the one I pulled off the truck.

Can anyone shed some light on this mystery? I'm working on the truck right now (1.5 hrs from home) and my goal of bleeding the brakes today, ahead of the impending recovery attempt, has stalled until I solve this.

Thanks gents!

EDIT!!! Never mind, gents. I figured it out. I needed to install the brass adapter! Thanks anyway!

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am trying to install a new MC and a rebuilt air pack on my '67 M35A2. The problem I'm having is there is a substantial leak coming from the rear of the MC (the outlet line to the air pak) from the fitting.
EDIT!!! Never mind, gents. I figured it out. I needed to install the brass adapter! Thanks anyway!
TM says to use sealing (teflon) tape on the pipe threads but the DOT 5 eats that stuff. On the other side of the "adapter" is part 8 which is a copper squish washer. [should be renewed]. If is seeps then it will be part 8 or the tubing pipe threads.
Do not over-tighten fittings trying to stop a seep.

Attachments