• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Pads Service Question

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another newbie question so please go easy on me. I did some searches and found some YouTubes, but I still need advice. '92 M998

I have probably done a hundred brake jobs but I never did one with inboard brakes. The pads look thin so I figure since it is 30 years old and I don't know what was changed out, I would like to have on hand the pads, rotors and calipers.

First Q: Does anyone have part numbers from a regular auto parts store for a kit or individual parts for the pads, rotors and calipers for a '92 M998? One YouTube mentioned he went to an Autozone and was able to get all three but the calipers did not fit and he had to go back to get different calipers. But no part numbers were provided. Sure beats buying parts from the expensive military supply houses IMHO.

Second Q: Another YouTube mentioned that the front driver's caliper has one bolt that is a real SOB as it is right up against the frame. He mentioned that some people remove the AC and radiator to get at it from up top but I'm not going to do that. Any other tips or tricks to help me get to that bolt without inventing new curses?

Thank you for sharing any info!

Action

The front calipers are 1987 AMC Eagle Wagon 4x4. I think the Eagle front RH caliper is same as hmmwv front LH. And Eagle front LH is hmmwv front RH. If you have upgraded rear calipers that include the e-brake, those are AMG. The hmmwv originslly had the Eagle calipers on rear and the e-brake on the rear propshaft.

Crazyguyla

I had to google that. REALLY!? That's what they put in humvees? lmao
Be ready to have your mind blown again, The pumpkins are a modified AMC 20 differential. AMGeneral was a subsidiary of AMC when the Hummer was designed. The stupid partnership with Renault made AMC spin AMGeneral of as a separate company. So technically, all AM General stuff designed between 1971 - 1983, was an AMC product. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If you're going to throw shade at an AMC Eagle, just think of the first AMC/Jeep wagon before the Cherokee..

The rear calipers w/parking brake are bendix/GM models.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing wrong with the AMC20 with an 8.875" ring gear and a larger dia. pinion shaft its stronger than the GM 12 bolt and the Dana 44, the only reason they have a bad rep. is because of the two piece axle used on the Jeep products and some others.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be ready to have your mind blown again, The pumpkins are a modified AMC 20 differential. AMGeneral was a subsidiary of AMC when the Hummer was designed. The stupid partnership with Renault made AMC spin AMGeneral of as a separate company. So technically, all AM General stuff designed between 1971 - 1983, was an AMC product. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If you're going to throw shade at an AMC Eagle, just think of the first AMC/Jeep wagon before the Cherokee..

The rear calipers w/parking brake are bendix/GM models.
I know of no civy equivalent to the rear calipers with parking brake. Strictly amg hmmwv part.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks