• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brake parts cleaner as a thinner?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if you could use dog crap as wax. It's free.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Then Would these chemicals make posion gas coming out of the exaust stack???
Ray you must have not had enough coffee this morning , everything that comes out of the exhaust stack except water is a poison gas.

zout

We've all had a can to spray on a dirty part that was globbed with grease and oil right !
Carb Cleaner as well if you were out of brake cleaner.

When you sprayed in on that oily part - what did it do ? It breaks down the grease and oil chemical base
to where you can just wipe the part clean and almost lick it - becuase it cleaned it so well.

Now take using this in WMO - why put a chemical in there to break down the oils and run it in your fuel ???

Diesel engines - yeah - go ahead and grab that can of starting fluid - it as well breaks down oil - oil is what is lubing
your cylinder walls in your engine right ?? Spray starting fluid to start - wipe oil out of your cylinder wall just to
fire up your engine - makes a lot of sence to me as well. If you spray to much and it fires - ever see a Cummins engine
piston rod bent because of it.

Tell me how that thinner works out for ya.:popcorn:

svd dragunov

We've all had a can to spray on a dirty part that was globbed with grease and oil right !
Carb Cleaner as well if you were out of brake cleaner.

When you sprayed in on that oily part - what did it do ? It breaks down the grease and oil chemical base
to where you can just wipe the part clean and almost lick it - becuase it cleaned it so well.

Now take using this in WMO - why put a chemical in there to break down the oils and run it in your fuel ???

Diesel engines - yeah - go ahead and grab that can of starting fluid - it as well breaks down oil - oil is what is lubing
your cylinder walls in your engine right ?? Spray starting fluid to start - wipe oil out of your cylinder wall just to
fire up your engine - makes a lot of sence to me as well. If you spray to much and it fires - ever see a Cummins engine
piston rod bent because of it.

Tell me how that thinner works out for ya.:popcorn:
yeah gasoline kinda has the same effect, and yet people still use that to thin out wmo. im not saying im going to try it, was more of a curiosity.

zout

I understand - do not take that the wrong way as I was not attempting or implying I
was trying to be a smart a** about you inquiring only - which was a great idea.

I suggested only as I am a fleet manager for a trucking co and I will fire someone on the spot if I ever see a can of starting fluid in a cab or used or ever have to authorize an invoice for a purchase of a can of the crap. If you have to use that stuff you have a mechanical problem and that needs the $ spent on repair more than a can o crap to get it fired up.

We use a lot of brake cleaner here but the cautions others gave you should be taken with heed - also never clean a part with brake cleaner and then go to welding on it.

Beyond Biodiesel

I have run about 5 gallons of braklean, which is TCE, through my 1983 6.2L Detroit Diesel engine with WVO and WMO blends, it does run, but TCE is hard on the Buna N and silicone seals, which are in old diesel engines, so braklean/TCE should be run at low concentrations, such as no more than 5% in the fuel blend.
Then Would these chemicals make posion gas coming out of the exaust stack???
Yes, but it does not only form hydrogen chloride gas (HCL), which is poisonous, but even worse, burning it also produces dioxins, which are known as "super toxins" in academic literature. However, the concentrations are no sufficient to pose a health hazard to the operator or the public driving behind a diesel engine that is powered by a fuel blend containing braklean/TCE at concentrations at or below 5%.

Nonetheless, people should stop using braklean/TCE as a solvent and use either a petroleum distillates, such as kerosene; or acetone, or turpentine as solvents.We will all live longer if you do.

Burning WMO means that braklean/TCE is going to be at low concentrations in your WMO.
yeah gasoline kinda has the same effect, and yet people still use that to thin out wmo. im not saying im going to try it, was more of a curiosity.
Gasoline, and other solvents, do not "break down" oil.The dissolve it by thinning, so it is gasoline, and other light solvents are very effective solvent for thinning waste oils into diesel fuel. Gasoline also comes from the same place that motor oil comes from, crude oil. Blending them together into a fuel blend is just putting them back together.

Last edited: