• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brake pedal count needed

Gunfreak25

I have a mission for a fellow GMC owner. I need to know approx how many braking applications one has before the air compressor governor kicks back on to recharge the air tank's, during stop and go normal city driving.

The mission should be simple, just count the number of times the brake pedal is applied while driving around. I need an average number, doesn't have to be perfect.

I know the GMC brakes are far superior to any other MV so I am betting it doesn't take much pressure to stop the vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stop and count and stop

I tried and couldn't do it. I can stop or I can count but counting and stopping at
the same time is just too much.:) Sounds like I'll need help with this one Gunner.
I've watched the gauge go down....and up....but can't tell you how many times...or how many seconds I pushed the pedal to get that to happen, funny.

I can check it out next time I tour but it's not a fair scenario for the G749. It'd help to know what the 'end result' info is that you're looking for. I can static test it in the backyard once the rain stops...quack quack.

Stopping and pedal usage will be different for different folks because a real 'trucker of the day' will pay attention to lights most times and not use the brakes.

I pre-charge the pedal as a test long before I come to an intersection. (the little flash on the brake lights tells smart drivers the big truck ahead is slowing down)
Usually I'm coasting to time the light instead of stopping at it and the trani does the rest. I'll hover on the pedal so I'm ready if I need it but the truck mostly stops on it's own with a little pedal application at the end, if I didn't time the light properly.

If someone is racing to the red light .......every time .....and stompin' on the brakes hard....to a complete jerk stop, then doin' it again....their 'pedal usage' and burn of available compressed air will be different then mine. Most attentive drivers with big weight will tell ya' they time every light. If the brakes are needed, they feather them on and off, , to 'cool' the drums/rotors as they come to a stop.

I may need to remove the cover and watch my diaphragm operated plunger activate the trigger that keeps my inlet valves off their seat, stopping compression when pressure reaches 100psi.

Soooo, if the big question is how many times do I push my pedal to get the "air pressure" in my system low enough to have my governor kick in.....assuming I followed pages 451 and on....here.....[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TM 9-8024 (part 3 of 4) and have my top pressure at 100psi and governed to kick on at 75psi......... I can get you an answer.[/FONT]

Gunfreak25

DD, a static test would be fine! I did not think of that. And I agree whole heartedly that every deuce owner should time the lights to use his brakes as little as possible. It's just good practice.

The reason I ask is because I was talking with the guys at Oasis Mfg who deals with the York 210 compressors which I what I am putting on the GMC. They said for every 1 hour of operation the York will discharge 1 oz of oil into the tank.

So I was basically trying work up an estimate of how often the compressor will cycle on and off when charging the tanks during normal driving. Adding 1 or 2 oz a month is no big deal and would be part of my monthly PM services.

That would work great, Dave. A static driveway test for a few minutes working up an average # of strokes it takes for the governor to kick on.

Just for this I guess now I will have to post up the Levi parts book? :beer:

nattieleather

@GF I wouldn't worry about it. The compressor is going to kick on and off even with the truck sitting at idle. Your air system even though in theory is a closed system you will loose air someplace at some time. So the compressor will kick on and off to keep the tanks filled.

Seatyger

I would respond to your question much in the same way as m1010plowboy but he says it smarter because he stayed in Alberta and I moved to Ontario lol! Preception and anticipation are such an integral part of driving, I wish they would put more emphasis on it when they instruct our 'New' Drivers.

It would save all of us a lot of grief, heartbreak and plain old fashioned aggravation. Getting back to the truck, I have a tuff time getting it to expel or deplete itself significantly during any kind of driving.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks