• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake pedal return spring replacement?

bz28

My brake pedal return spring decided it no longer wanted to stay attached to my truck, and fell off at some point during my long drive home with it.

I'm getting ready to go to Lowe's and try to get a replacement, but I figured I'd ask if theres anything I need to know other than the length? I don't know how springs are rated, or if they are rated, for tension, and if that would matter for this application?

If anyone has run into this before and has any input, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Jones

Springs for Dummies (me):
There are two kinds of springs; compression (those that resist being compressed) and tension (those that resist being stretched). Springs are rated something along the lines of how many pounds or ounces it will support or hold before it starts to compress or stretch.
The actual formula is more complex than that, taking into account constant rate or variable rate and other factors like material and design; belleville, bi-metal, wire coil, etc.

Take your old spring along with you and see if any "feel" like they're about the same stiffness. Look for ones with at least as many coils as your old one. A clutch return spring may be stiff enough but they usually have only a dozen or so coils, They may not have enough travel and will deform or break after a few times.

When it comes time to install; you'll soon see that getting it stretched out over the ears/pins/eyelet holes is a real chore-- and you may also learn first-hand just how far you get get one to fly or how many glass panes/mirrors/canning jars you can break if it gets away from you.

Here's a neat trick that'll take the hazard/danger/fun out of wrestling the spring into it's place.
First, measure the distance from hook to hook to see how long the spring needs to be when it's installed without the brake pedal being pushed down and add a 1/4" to 3/8" to the measurement.
Next, drop a bolt down through the hook end of the spring and grab the bolt in a vice (the head of the bolt will keep the spring from getting away if you lose your grip on the free end). Have a friend help stretch the spring using another bolt or round bar as a pry in the free end . Grabbing he spring with vice grips or water pump pliers may gouge the spring wire and can lead to stress-risers and early breakage (not good unless you enjoy replacing the little suckers).

Now comes the "Wow, why didn't I think of that" part; With the spring stretched out, stick a postage stamp-sized piece of folded business card or card stock between each open coil. When you or your helper let go of the spring, the pieces of card stock will keep the coils expanded and will give you the length you need to easily get the ends of the spring over the ends of the pedal and spring keeper.
Having already measured, you'll know how long the spring needs to be to get it into place and you can adjust to that length by adding or removing pieces of card stock.

Once the spring is in position, pushing down on the brake pedal should allow the pieces of card stock to fall right out, but I still crawl underneath to make sure all are out.

bz28

Thank you for the thorough reply, it should make installation a bit easier. However I do not have the old spring anymore. If I had to guess, it's sitting on I95 right now.

When I measured the distance between the mounting tab on the frame and the mount on the master cylinder, it's very close to the same length as the clutch pedal return spring. Do you think the same spring could have been used for both? It measured almost 9 1/2" long, and the coiled portion was about 6" long on the clutch spring. I was thinking of trying to find one that matched that.

Jones

Might just be the same spring. Get into the tech library and find the -24P (parts manual) for your deuce. Look up boith the brake pedal and clutch pedal return spring-- same part number... same spring. A duece clutch return spring, even it is isn't exactly the same, may still be a good get me home replacement since a clutch pedal goes all the way to the floor each time it's operated (stretching the spring more) and a brake pedal travels less than that (hopefully).
The reason for my comment about the universal clutch springs is that I've seen them with a long end (cut the excess to length) and only a dozen or so coils. You want to make sure you have enough coils to keep from over-stretching anything you put in there.

DieselBob

Checking on Saturn Surplus the brake pedal return spring and the clutch pedal return spring are the same

M35
Brake Pedal Return Spring
5360-00-324-1047
$6.50
S2-7

M35
Clutch Pedal Return Spring
5360-00-324-1047
$6.50
S2-7

bz28

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up just ordering a new spring from Saturn Surplus. I figured better be safe than sorry.

Now it sucks that I just bought the truck and can't drive it for a few days :cry:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks