• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake problem

Z71

Ya I was kind of thinking the same thing. On another note where the air switch is depends on which air pak you have. If you have the short style the air switch is in fact on the front.
A fine threaded bolt with some teflon tape on it which I partially threaded in by hand only to keep the brake fluid from leaking until I replace the switch. I did not have a pipe plug with the right threads.

Z71

I replaced the brake light switch and flushed the brake system with new brake fluid. I used three quarts of DOT 5 fluid to do this. When I first tried the brakes after bleeding the brakes, the pedal was a bit spongy but it is firm now. Is this normal? On passenger cars and trucks the pedal is spongy only if you replace the pads or brake shoes, until the caliper/wheel cylinder pistons expand.

One of the bleeder valves on the back wheels is bad, I will need to get a new one. Who sells these wheel cylinder bleeder valves?

Z71

Try again tomorrow. If the brakes are spongy again the next day you still have air in the system.
Thanks, that is what I will do. That original master cylinder is a horrible design. What meathead came up with this? I had to use a crawfoot wrench to get the vent line fitting off as nothing would work. No room for any other type wrench. I will probably get one of those remote reservoirs because getting that cap off the master cylinder just to check the fluid is a nightmare.

welldigger

The remote reservoir is an excellent add on. PM me if you can't find a bleeder valve. I'm sure I have one laying around.

Z71

The pedal was nice and firm this morning. Went for a 15 mile ride and the brakes worked fine.

Last edited: