• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake problems

M37-1952

Hi All,
Hope you had a good holiday. I had my deuce out for a ride on Sunday and got lots of looks and waves. People brought their kids over to see it. Old timers and not so old stop me at the store to see my truck. One girl ask if she could take pictures as her Dad loved military iron. On the way home, I noticed a beautiful rebuilt M35A2 in full canvas a 1/4 mile from my house. Now my question. I have my pedal go to the floor with no braking and it seems to be temperature related. Brake were fine all winter and spring until it got above 70-75. I adjusted the play in the pedal,fluid level ok,no leaks in the lines. When the brakes are ok,the pedal will hold about 2 inches from the floor and not sink. What is normal applied height? When the brakes disappear, right to the floor no
back pressure. I read the archives and it seems it might be the MC. Any help would be useful. Thanks.

Mark

1971 M35A2
1952 M37

ctmustang

It certainly does sound like the M.C. I just went through the same thing. Bought a nos m.c. from saturn because I like to stick with the original parts. Pedal height for mine is at about 4 inches from the top I am almost locking the wheels. I just went through and adjusted all brakes per the TM. There's nothing like good solid brakes under your foot!
C.T.

tm america

that is really low for the pedal hieght have you checked the brake adjustment :roll:did you check the fluid level in the resovoir. look for leaks adjust the brakes if everything is good there and fluid level is good it's probably the master cylinder or air pack.my brake pedal only moves about an inch to an inch and a half from the top

M37-1952

Well, I got my brakes fixed and it was so simple I had to post it. On Saturday, I met Clint Barber from the Mid-Michigan MVPA at the Midland fairgrounds. They had a nice setup of a deuce,M-37,M-38 ,mule and a german staff truck (Like a VW Thing). Anyway, I told Clint my problem and he had a simple trick. Take off the J air line between the relay valve and the back of the cylinder. Squirt in a little air tool oil in both holes and button it up. Air it up and pump the pedal. In 2 minutes, the brakes were so hard I had to re-adjust the free play. Now they are at the top and rock hard with little travel.

Mark

St. Louis,MI
1971 M35A2
1952 M-37

littlebob

Thanks for the input. I just got finished changing all of my parts changed, but the parts have been in the high moisture enviroment here. I think I just need to bleed a little more, but other things to try after that are good to know.

M37-1952

I looked on the back of the airpac and there is a screw out plug. The PM mag says to lube this with a few drops of oil, at each lube.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks