• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Question

401-J10

I looked around some before posting so hopefully this question hasn't already been asked. But one of my rear drums is seized up real bad(this is on a M211 axle by the way). I've used a really big sledge on it with very little success. So are the pads most likely rusted up to the drum? Whats the best way to get the drum off? Is there any way to get it off without warping or destroying it?

Thanks in advance for any help. I didn't know if there would be a better solution than an oxy torch or cutting the drum to pieces.

Evan

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try backing off the adjusters, soaking in penetrating oil for a day, and beating on the drum with the outer bearing out. Use a wood block to keep from marring the drum. Beat on it for 30 minutes if you have to, it will break loose.

artica5105

Not that I exactly recommend this, but I had some success with a small jack to break the rust weld between the drum and hub by placing the jack base on the frame and the rod on the drum lip. I applied just enough pressure to "pop" the drum free. Then I released the jack and worked the drum off the 18 (I think) studs by hand.

That being said, and not knowing what you are trying to repair, it is far easier to remove the entire hub (brake drum included) to complete any brake work.

nattieleather

I'd try the adjuster on the back of the backing plate. It's a large (5/8 maybe?) and long nut. If that doesn't help then follow the above mention ideas. (It's been 12 years since I owned and played with a M211 so memory is getting a bit foggy)

401-J10

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Yeah i tried the adjusters. One felt like it wasn't even doing anything, but the other did feel like it may have been helping. I didn't really know how to get any penetrating oil in the drums to make a difference. So if I try to pull the hub off with the drums locked up i can get it off? I didn't think it would come apart or I would have tried that.

Thanks,

Evan

artica5105

You probably find, once you get in there, that the spur gear on the adjuster no longer has any teeth on it. You will eventually get it to move. I had some doubts myself when I did mine, but it is far less work to get the whole assembly off as one unit. Your mileage might vary, but on the really stuck ones I had I put a tire/wheel back on it and began rocking it until it began moving. When it eventually freed up some I could feel it turn free in small "sections", like both parts were more oval than round. I found the the area which felt the most free and took the tire back off. I was then able to rock the hub back and fourth and slowly work the drum free.

Good luck

maybe you could try hooking a 3/8 chain to the wheel with a tire or not then hook the other end of the chain to the frame a least 6 feet a way from the wheel and use a load binder and get it tight like it is trying to turn the wheel and then hit the drum with a hammer it will shock the stuck part to let go . this has worked in the past

401-J10

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I eventually got really annoyed with this as i've been working on it for a while so i just took my angle grinder with a cutting wheel and put a cut down the drum right above the wheel cylinder. Even though i'll now have to get another drum, i'm glad i did this. With the drum finally off it looks like somebody adjusted the shoes out until they broke all the teeth off the spur gears. I really don't know if i would have gotten it off any other way. I had tried about every idea given before doing this. I even one day started the vehicle and put it into low range and the right rear tire just set there and spun haha.

If anybody has any extra drums or the spur gear parts please let me know.

Evan