• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brake shoes

Bacon4x

In this thread yeager1 asked about relining brake shoes with a higher than stock friction compound. Has anyone tried this?
The code on the side of my brake shoes say they are made from a friction compound with a rating of FF, meaning that the coefficient of friction is between 0.35 and 0.45 when the shoes are both cold and hot. If you could reline with a GG compound, which is rated between 0.45 and 0.55, then you would increase your stopping power and reduce your brake pedal effort by about 20%. This could be a relatively cheap and effective improvement to the brakes.

Bacon4x

Perhaps the shoes would wear a bit faster, but I don't know that for sure, and for the average deuce driver I don't think you would notice any difference. I would say 99% of people driving these trucks just don't drive it enough to be concerned about the rate of wear between an FF vs. GG brake shoe compound. As for the drum I don't think its significant there either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks