• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brakes, all or nothing??

IronViking

Hi guys,
Im doing some brake work on my deuce. I was reading the TM and it seems like each brake is independent from the others. As far as fluid goes anyways.
My ?? is this, if one brake was to fail due to loss of brake fluid, do the other brakes continue to function as norm??
My front is leaking fluid but none of the other brakes have any problems.
From what I understand is each brake holds its own fluid and is connected and opperated by the air lines from the booster? The air line are also leak free.
Any info would help.
Thanks

bugei

the answer is..........if you loose one from loss of fluid, you loose them all.

i have never lost them on my duece, but i have lost them on a pro street dragster, and it causes a real "butt pucker" situation. a very good reason to make sure that the e-brake works. btw, the fred flinstone method does not work well on a duece.

that is why some guys are modifying to a 2 circuit system.

Jake0147

Negative!!!

If there is a fluid leak ANYWHERE in the brake system, you will have NO brakes. "Weaping", which I assume that you're seeing since it's still in question, is a very minor leak that WILL become a big leak. Maybe in five years, maybe the very next time you step on the pedal, maybe over a bit of time, or maybe all at once. All of the brake plumbing is "tee" connected back to the first single solitary brake line. No leaks are acceptable.

The air only serves to assist the brakes. Studying the TM will get you the more specific version, but in the mean time, you could figure that ten percent of the force applied to the pedal comes from your foot, and ninety percent of the force applied to the pedal comes from the assist mechanism, that being the air pack in front of the master cylinder.

DanMartin

What year is the deuce in question? Ones built (not rebuilt...actually built) in the mid-late 80's should have a split-brake system, with the fronts on a different circuit than the rears. A bit more safety if you lose one circuit, you'll at least (sort of) be able to stop with the other. This system was continued into the A3 program (all A3s have this split system AFAIK).

Most likely you have the older single-brake system. You can easily tell...are there two air packs under the truck or just one?

IronViking

My truck was built in 88 and rebuilt in 05. So then I should have a split brake system?
There is so much info out there its hard to know what applys to which truck.
Thanks for the info guys

Jake0147

You possibly could have a split braking system. If so I'll take back what I said about loosing all the brakes, you'll loose half of them instead...
Look under the truck. Where booster is in front of the master cylinder, all trucks will have. If you find another booster on the other side, you have split brakes.

With or without split brakes, I still would reiterate that no brake fluid leak is acceptable.

IronViking

One more ??? are all wheel cylinders the same, as in are the years all using the same parts?
Can I get one from any truck similar to mine?