• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brakes and seals before paint?

bigginstactical

So I am getting ready to paint my Deuce project soon.... I was wondering what order you experienced guys have done things in? Seals, brakes then paint? Paint first then do the the brakes and axle seals? I was thinking about prepping it then doing the seals in case i manage to get sand in the axles i don't ruin the new seals and then spray it? any thoughts or advice is appreciated! thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

wsucougarx

Well, safety first. I did all my brakes (wheel cylinders and brake fluid) first and foremost. Then I changed out all the seals and repacked the bearings. Then I moved onto the tranny, transfer case, and differential fluids. After all the safety and maintenance was taken care of then I started on the "appearance" items. I did the 3 color camo on my '68 deuce with Home Depot Behr paint. Three years later she's looking as good as the day I painted her;-)

zout

Get all the mechanical working properly first - then go for looks. You can look as pretty as ya want - but it just might look pretty sitting on the side of the road broken down if its not all in order. Besides one of your least expense will be painting it.

197thhhc

I would definately get the mechanical stuff done first. Less risk of messing your paint job up. When we restore trucks, paint is the last thing we do.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you're sandblasting (which it sounds like you are), my preference is to blast, then prime/paint, then service the system and finally, touch up the paint as necessary.

There is no way to tape off anything well enough to keep media out, so you're going to have to pull it apart to check it anyway. Also, the sand will get in places that the primer and paint won't and you'll have bare metal inside the drum (typically a line on the backing plate) that you'll need to touch up.

This is how I am doing mine. Blast/prime/paint, then disassemble, replace all brake components, service bearings, reassemble, touch up paint.

IMAG1948800x600.jpgIMAG1833800x600.jpgIMAG1846800x600.jpgIMAG1884800x600.jpgIMAG1887800x600.jpgIMAG1933800x600.jpgIMAG1935800x600.jpgIMAG1940800x600.jpg

bigginstactical

Sorry i guess I should have stated, since most of you are probably not familiar with my project, that Its inside and I'm adding an additional two feet to the cab and shortening the bed. I am not driving the vehicle (it did drive amazingly) and wont until all safety updates are done. I plan on doing seals, go through all the brakes, change all fluids and inspect everything. I was just wanting to know what order i should do everything in since its parked. I am leaning towards CLINTO's philosophy. It seems to corraspond with my thoughts of possible sand intrusion ruining new seals and oil :S I'm hoping to have all the fabrication done in the next few weeks so then it is on to the paint/prep process or safety stuff depending on rout i go.

bigginstactical

looks awesome man! I'm not going that in depth on mine but I am doing what i can to stave off future rust and things like that. Just not quite a full resto. Looks sweet though! all the green iron makes me want another rig haha!
If you're sandblasting (which it sounds like you are), my preference is to blast, then prime/paint, then service the system and finally, touch up the paint as necessary.

There is no way to tape off anything well enough to keep media out, so you're going to have to pull it apart to check it anyway. Also, the sand will get in places that the primer and paint won't and you'll have bare metal inside the drum (typically a line on the backing plate) that you'll need to touch up.

This is how I am doing mine. Blast/prime/paint, then disassemble, replace all brake components, service bearings, reassemble, touch up paint.

View attachment 436435View attachment 436436View attachment 436437View attachment 436438View attachment 436439View attachment 436440View attachment 436441View attachment 436442

welldigger

View attachment 436435View attachment 436436View attachment 436437View attachment 436438View attachment 436439View attachment 436440View attachment 436441View attachment 436442
I am also inclined to agree with Clinto. If you sand blast, the media gets into EVERYTHING. I don't care how good you think you taped and sealed everything. So you would need to pull everything apart after blasting anyways. Why do it twice?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks