• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brakes -- need some input

Flea

Well, this past weekend, I did some work on the brakes on the truck, mostly preventive maintenance... inspecting lines and such.

I check the Master Cylinder for fluid and it looked a bit low; I added a pint of DOT5. While under the truck, I noticed the brake pedal rubber stop wasn't keeping contact with the floorboard, so I adjusted the brake pedal until it was snug with the floor, but not overly tight.

Keep in mind, I have not driven the deuce for a couple months.

While on a test drive the next day, the brakes felt a little more spongy than I remember them being. However, the truck slowed and stopped fine, and a hard jab on the brakes locked up all tires on both rear axles instantly.

Have I just been driving a sedan too much lately, or should I look further for reasons why my brakes feel more spongy than I remember? No chance of debris or water in the MC from me; I was careful and cleaned the area thoroughly before opening it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is supposed to be a return spring going to the frame to keep the pedal up. If you snug that up too much you will cause your brakes to lock up. Spongy pedal will usually be air in the system. Give it a good bleed.

Flea

Hmm... looks like I'll start at the Airpack and work backwards this weekend. Hope it doesn't rain -- I don't want to be rolling around in the mud!

yolner

hello guys,

I have a problem: my deuce and a half had a low brake pressure ( SPONGY BRAKE PEDAL)

I have revised a master cylinder
I have revised a brake booster
I have new wheel cylinder inside.
I have new brake hoses sit up.

And I can't find the problem with the spongy brake pedal.
do you know something?
What about the steel brake lines?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks